CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

How long should I wait after second feeding refusal?

Old 12-21-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
ArvadaLanee
How long should I wait after second feeding refusal?

I tried to feed the snake again. I warmed up the pinkie a little more hot then usual, and fed her in small Tupperware covered with a towel. I left her alone so she wouldn't feel stressed. She still didn't eat. I am not gonna freak out since I know snakes can go a while without eating, and she did eat the first time, but I just want to know if I should still wait another 3 or 4 days before I try again. I am thinking of trying the tuna fish scenting. Any thoughts on that? She hasn't been handled for a while, so she shouldn't be stressed from that. I'm not sure what is making her uncomfortable about eating.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
Nanci
Is she active, at other times?

I would try tonight, with a boiled pinky. Thaw the pink, boil water, pour over the pink, cut or stab a small hole in the pink's head, then put it in the SMALL tupperware with the snake. Cover the top. Do not peek for a couple hours. Set a timer. Do this in the evening.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
ArvadaLanee
She seems to be most active at night, but she is never really super active. She likes to climb in her reptile vine, and she does move to different spots in her viv a lot. I was thinking about that too, though, like if she might prefer morning feedings? I will try again tonight. I am glad a bought 6 pinkies right away. At this rate, I may have to get some mice to breed. Lol

Old 12-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #4
Nanci
Or another worm! :-)

Old 12-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
ArvadaLanee
Eeew. Gross. If you want more worms, don't you just cut them in half? Lol

Thanks for all your help with my many struggles. For some reason, I thought I would be a natural at this, like I am with most pets, but it turns out, I need to work at being a good snake mama.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
ArvadaLanee
Well, crap. She still didn't eat. I did the boiling water, and I stabbed the pinkie in the head, maybe a bit too big of a cut on accident, but hopefully that wasn't the issue. I put her in a small tupperware, just a little smaller then a paper towel folded in half twice. I left a towel over her the whole night to be sure she wasn't disturbed. *sigh* She ate the first time. Last night I fed her a bit earlier then I had been, because I noticed she was active and I thought that might help. I'm down to 2 pinkies. Not that I can't go get more, but sheesh, what a waste. I am trying very hard not to panic or anything. I just don't want the poor snake to get sick, or die, or something! One of the main reasons I went with the corn snake is because I had read that they were relatively easy to feed. Haha.
Should I give her a day off and try again, or just keep trying each night until she takes it? Should I try a morning feeding to see if she likes that better? I am up before the sun, so I could try it right at sunrise. I was thinking of calling the pet store today to have them give me more details about the feeding schedule she was on with them. Maybe they can shed a little light on her preferences for me. Otherwise, I can start going down the list of tricks, like blue dawn dish soap, tuna water, or even guppy scenting, since I have a bunch of guppies. I am just not sure what to try first, and when. I don't want to stress the poor thing out with constant failed feedings. I sure hope this gets easier at some point.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #7
Nanci
At this point, I'd wait four or five days. Then I think I would either try the same thing, or put in a toilet paper tube, squashed flat, with the pink inside, inside her viv.

Scenting is mostly for babies who haven't eaten ever.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
Nanci
What's her warm temp?

Old 12-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
ArvadaLanee
Her warm temp is 83°. But I think I figured out why she isn't eating. I decided to take her out, and give her a good look just to rule out any other issues, and what do you know, I found a dark brown spot on her nose. I believe she may have picked up those mites after all. I am not 100% sure, because the spot wasn't moving, but it wasn't there last night! I have been reading like a mad woman about different treatments. I think the first step will be to make sure it really is mites, but it does make sense, considering the pet store had called me and let me know that they had found mites on one of the other snakes. It also could explain why she ate the first time and lost her appetite now. After the phone call, I took her back to have her checked for signs of mites, and she didn't have any then, but there could have been eggs I guess which is why this is the first I have seen of them. I am thinking of giving her a warm bath to see if any mites come off, or mite droppings. If it is mites, I will come up with a treatment plan ASAP!

Old 12-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #10
Nanci
Bump her temp up to 87, too. (For feeding- 83 is coolish, for a baby).

Check her closely around the eyes and jaw for mites. If you can't see, take photos and enlarge them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google