CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Breeding my girl.....question??

Old 11-03-2002, 08:31 PM   #1
CAcornguy
Breeding my girl.....question??

Hello folks. I just wanted to ask some advice on the breeding of my female. Now that I have confimed my 4 1/2 foot beauty is indeed a female, I am ready to breed her with my 2 males. (1 normal, and 1 Anery) the female is a Normal, but she is very Brown instead of orange, and I was originally told she was a Caramel. She also has 2 definite stripes going down the length of her body on the top. (Motley????) Anyway, the main question I had is this.

She is quite bulgy in her lower 2/3 and after having her run over my fingers, it feels like she has a strand of pearls in her belly. From reading Bill and Kathy Love's book, she is ready to breed right?? I know it is early in the year, but I think she could do it. Could I put Both males in her tank at the same time, or is it best to put only one at a time in there. She is MUCH bigger than my males also. The males are both about 2 1/2 feet each. Will that matter any? I was told the males can breed early.

Also...how long can breeding take. Is it possible to happen VERY fast? I put my female and a male into the bath to swim for a bit, and the famale lifted her tail (wil help from the male) and it looked like he may has penetrated her very quickly. Immediatly after that, they both used the bathroom in the tub, and that was it. If he penetrated her, it would have only lasted a couple seconds.

I look forward to your responses, ands thanks for reading this long post!! -Don

Old 11-09-2002, 08:14 PM   #2
Outlaw
Guess she was just teasing him

When my snakes decided to "get it together" they remained joined for at least half an hour, if not more. The mating was repeated more than once, over a period of days with the result being 18 fertile eggs. I would very much doubt if a 2 second contact would produce a successful mating. But of course I could be wrong.

The eggs all hatched on the last day of August after 10 weeks of incubation. 12 normals and 6 amels.

I would also suggest that 2's company and 3's a crowd.
As your males are normal and anery I would only allow the one to mate. Only then would you be able to predict the type of hatchling with any degree of accuracy.

Whatever happens, I wish you the best of luck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google