CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

No Reptiles Allowed!

Old 11-04-2003, 01:13 PM   #1
Edmund
No Reptiles Allowed!

Anybody had this problem when trying to find a new place to live? Every place I call will not allow reptiles. It's very frustrating, and I want to be honest with them, but this is just ridiculous.

Just wanted to vent...

Old 11-04-2003, 01:16 PM   #2
Kat
If you have the funds and the financial stability, buy your own house/condo/townhome? Most homeowner associations do not prohibit reptiles.

I also know that there are apartments out there that DO allow reptiles, though they are few and far-between. Keep looking and you'll eventually find one.

-Kat

Old 11-04-2003, 01:34 PM   #3
Edmund
Thanks, Kat. I've been thinking a house is my best bet. We'll see...

Old 11-04-2003, 09:55 PM   #4
Taceas
Re:

Well not to encourage this sort of behaviour, but when I was apartment shopping and I had my snakes, I never told the apartment manager about them. I too was rejected 3 times because I had them.

Most places don't consider reptiles to be "pets". So why should I? In all honesty, I can't get insurance on them like I can a dog or a horse, they're just things in the eyes of most people.

So I turn a blind eye and a quiet mouth and do as I please. I kept my bargain, no pets (dogs, cats, birds) after all. And the best part is, my snakes don't chew molding or carpet. =P

Just make sure there's a clause in there that they are required to give 24 hrs notice before entering the premisis.

But to be safe, I'd look into buying a small, cheap house. With interest rates as low as they are, you can finance your own home for what you would be paying in rent anyway.

Old 11-04-2003, 10:19 PM   #5
Kat
On the house thing...

There's also typically local and national agencies which will aid you in getting a house, if you're a first time home-buyer. They'll do things like, giving you money to use in closing costs, allowing you to get a loan with far less of a downpayment... stuff like that (it varies... your salary affects it too). Anyway, goodluck.

-Kat

Old 11-05-2003, 08:36 AM   #6
Steve H
When I moved into my first apartment, they told me that they don't allow pets like cats and dogs, but aquariums and birds would be alright. They never said that the aquariums had to have fish in them (big grin), so I never told them about my little land loving corn fish. One thing that also kept them from finding them was that they had to give me 24 hours notice before entering.
Most places will tell you that they don't allow reptiles even if they have no official policy against them.
I do agree with Taceas though, If you can swing it, buying a house is a much better option.

Old 11-05-2003, 12:01 PM   #7
Edmund
Thanks everyone. I'll probably look for a house, I don't want to chance it and later get fined or evicted.

Old 11-05-2003, 05:32 PM   #8
Skye
I used the same trick as Steve - we checked they allowed aquariums, and never said what we planned to keep in there!

Skye

Old 11-14-2003, 05:01 PM   #9
PSYCOSNAKEMOM
Snakes! What Snakes? ~~~~~~:~

Before long you will be building on an additon to your home to house all your snakes, in the four years since we started one bedroom is now the snake room but I've noticed that there is a tank with two snake in the living room! one day I will come home and my bed will be replaced with a snake tank. Good Luck ~~~~~:~Sam

Old 12-02-2003, 05:04 PM   #10
Mayte2
Hehehe .. I know what ya mean about replacing furniture with tanks We had already sorted where we were going to house our two corns and one pine when they get bigger. Then, while we were shopping for more food we fell in love with another pine and bought her. Obviously we had to have a rethink about where we are going to put her and the others. But you do manage to find ways around finding enough space. They are all gonna be sorted and into vivs and suitable tubs before Christmas.
We are lucky in that we can have reptiles where we are. There`s nothing in our rent agreement that prevents us from keeping them (at least I don`t think there is!!!) but noone has ever said anything when they`ve been here.

Good luck with the house hunting!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google