• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Good Pythons to get?

Morph Trader

Trollwhisperer
All, right, after laying a quickly dying clutch of eggs and not eating for a week my next door neighbor and friends Rough green died. He doesn't seem to have much interest in colubrids anyways. What are some good pythons or other snakes? I've heard Childrens python, Ball Python(don't want him getting nervous over long feeding strikes), sand boas, Red Tail?

Before getting another snake he should find out what went wrong with the first one, in my opinion. He could be doing something wrong that will cause any new snake to die too.

Well, rough greens are virtually all WC, and very difficult to keep.

Didn't know that. WC is even difficult to keep by an experienced keeper by my understanding.

Well if he wants to use the same cage disinfect it thoroughly first.
Carpet pythons are a good choice too i think, don't get too big and can be very active. Can be a little bitey as babies though.

Irian Jaya Carpet Pythons are a good beginner Python. They are the smaller of the Carpet Pythons & can be very pretty! That was my first Carpet. Watch out though, they're very addictive!

Mt friend has an IJ and she is really mean and well strike when he holds her. Yeah the rough green was wc, but easily handled and as tame as a corn. She died because the stress of laying eggs while she was on the skinny side. She hadn't even started eating yet.

Some are, but not because they're IJ's, you can find tempermental snakes in any of the Carpet Pythons. Heck, you can find tempermental snakes in any species. JCP's have the worst reputation, but generally, most calm down when they get older.

My opinions and observations on PYTHONS:

Most carpets tend to be aggressive, and less handleable than many other species, as others have already noted. There are of course individual exceptions (as in corns). They do get very addictive, and are REALLY cool to look at.

Ball pythons are notoriously excellent beginner snakes, which is one of the reasons they're so popular to keep. Find a well-started CB from a reputable breeder, counsel the new owner on proper husbandry and feeding, and you most likely won't have too many problems getting them consistent on F/T (or live if you prefer).

A few words on BOAS:

If they're looking for something a little larger, a Columbian Boa would definitely be my recommendation. They start small, grow quick, and tend to be the calmest of the larger snakes.

Sand boas are cool to keep, but since they like to burrow are somewhat frustrating as observational animals. They also tend to be a bit nippy, so if they want something really easily handleable go with the Columbian or Red-tail boa.

Didn't know that. WC is even difficult to keep by an experienced keeper by my understanding.

Well if he wants to use the same cage disinfect it thoroughly first.
Carpet pythons are a good choice too i think, don't get too big and can be very active. Can be a little bitey as babies though.

Carpet pythons do get big and have a tendancy to be aggressive.

While I agree with everything that has been said above. I would also like to say that Carpets being "Aggressive" is more often than not attributed to cage aggression and/or their very good feeding response.

I have two that are almost polar opposites on the handling scale. My IJ is very calm about everything and very good at being handled. He is also smaller...at about 4 feet long.

My Jungle (JCP) is....well...naughty. She is very cage aggressive and I have to get her out with a hook or you will be bitten. That being said though, once she is out, she is very curious and wants nothing more than to explore and perch around your neck. She is about the same size as him, but growing quickly and she is a year younger than he is.

As long as whatever they decide to get is handled well, often, and with the care and respect it needs, you should be fine.

But beware.....Carpet Pythons are like Cheetos.....you can never have just one. XD

Wild Caught. Field herpers would basically go out and collect babies of a certain species to sell to zoos and/or the right buyer. It's a common practice among certain species that haven't been domesticated as long as corn snakes have.

Dumeril's boa, Males only get about 6 ft. Sounds big I know but it's really not. Let me just tell you from experience, these snakes are absolute angels. I wouldn't trade my big cuddle buddy for the world. He has been through so much. When I ordered him he arrived with a RI that just would not go away. He's had his mouth pried open every other day for several weeks, had injections, but took it all in stride. He's so smart, not cage aggressive at all and he's content to just curl up on the bed with me when I'm having movie or game time. I wish I could better express my sincerity in saying these snakes are just perfect companions. Research them a bit at least, everyone will tell you the same.

Dumeril's boa, Males only get about 6 ft. Sounds big I know but it's really not. Let me just tell you from experience, these snakes are absolute angels. I wouldn't trade my big cuddle buddy for the world. He has been through so much. When I ordered him he arrived with a RI that just would not go away. He's had his mouth pried open every other day for several weeks, had injections, but took it all in stride. He's so smart, not cage aggressive at all and he's content to just curl up on the bed with me when I'm having movie or game time. I wish I could better express my sincerity in saying these snakes are just perfect companions. Research them a bit at least, everyone will tell you the same.

I can agree with this. Dumeril's are fantastic snakes to own, and are absolutely gorgeous!

Back