CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

How often should an adult corn be fed?

Old 07-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #1
LadyJemima
How often should an adult corn be fed?

Tango weights a nice 456 grams. By Karl's "12%" calculation, he should eat a 2oz mouse. Karl said he feeds every 10-14 days; I've heard others say once a week. Opinions?

P.s. Tango is healthy, but I can juuuuust start to see where he might be forming hips. So I don't want to overfeed. He's an aggressive eater and I have been told he will eat whether he is hungry or not.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #2
DollysMom
No, a 56 gram (2 ounce) mouse is way too much. Start with about 20 to 25 grams and see if he gains or loses. Adjust from there to maintain weight. You can adjust by increasing or decreasing the interval (though I wouldn't feed an adult more often than once a week) or changing the size mouse.

When I got Mandy she was was 464, but she was way too skinny. I started her out with about 22 grams per feeding. Today she weighs a healthy 550 grams.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:58 AM   #3
Dragonling
The 10-15% rule only applies to growing juvenile snakes. People frequently forget to tack on that rather useful bit of information. There is no reason to feed anything larger than ~25g on average. You can make allowances for larger feedings that are far less frequent (I've heard of a big corn eating a small rat per month and thriving), but I would leave that sort of thing to more experienced keepers. Males are particularly efficient with their caloric intake, thus mine eat twice monthly once they've achieved 300g or are around 3ft. Females I tend to feed weekly, since they typically use more energy in the long run (ovulation), though I've got a few who regardless of laying this year are looking just the slightest bit too pudgy and will be getting reduced feedings until next year.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #4
DollysMom
To add to Dragonling's very good info, here's a little more info about interval. From what I've seen some of the most common feeding intervals are 7,10, and 14 days. Anything in between 7 and 14 days will generally work, but you need to keep records and you need to watch your snakes behavior. Though they are opportunistic feeders and will overeat if fed too much, if they are fed too far apart they will often demonstrate it by practically flying out of their enclosures at the smell of a mouse. I've settled on feeding 10 days apart for both my corn snakes at present. However, you always need to be aware and look at both weights and your snakes behavior. Just don't be fooled into feeding too often because he "looks" hungry.

Considering that you think Tango is a little chunky I'd personally start at about 18 to 20 grams depending on the actual mouse size at 10 days apart. That said, it is your call and your judgement alone. Also it depends on what mouse sizes you have available. That's one thing nice about having more than one snake and stocking 100 or more vacuum packed mice st a time-- size choice.

Another factor is warmth and activity. A warmer snake and a more active snake will burn more calories. And yet another variable is mouse quality. The better quality the mice the more nutrition your snake will get from it. I only buy mice from known sources with good reputations.

Also, for all intents and purposes 7 days = 4x per month, 10 days =3x per month and 14 days = 2x per month.

Last, don't be overwhelmed by these other factors I've brought up. Be informed by them but not overwhelmed.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #5
LadyJemima
Quote:
The 10-15% rule only applies to growing juvenile snakes
Ahhh, I see. The mouse I fed weighed 28 grams (dethawed directly in water...that may have increased the weight) but I think I have some slightly smaller ones in the freezer. I get my mice from a well-known mouse breeder.

Quote:
Last, don't be overwhelmed by these other factors I've brought up. Be informed by them but not overwhelmed.
Not overwhelmed! Very helpful. Every 10 days it is.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google