CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Help me resolve a genetic puzzle???

Old 07-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #1
Tavia
Help me resolve a genetic puzzle???

Only got one and a half hatchlings out of a six egg clutch at the moment but the results would seem to be impossible ... Or the answer is obvious and I just don't see it.

Pairing was to Persephone, sold to me as a Charcoal Tessera het Hypo, poss het Amel, Stripe and a remote chance of Anery A. I believe she is actually a visual Phantom though.

She was paired to Warric, who was sold to me as proven, he was initially thought to be an Anery Zagtec, was paired with a Ghost and I believe produced a number of normals, though I'm double checking that with the person I got him from. He was then assumed to be a Charcoal instead and het Anery, stripe/motley, dilute and 50% poss het amel. He is visually an Anery of some kind at least.

We hit the Amel hets on both in the first two babies, that's exciting! But the puzzling part is that the baby half out appears to be a regular Amel Tessera. The second baby, so far anyway, appears to be a Blizzard of some sort.

Maybe once it's out it will clear up the mystery but for now I'm scratching my head and wondering what in the world is Warric?!

Old 07-25-2017, 02:21 PM   #2
Dragonling
Looking at Warric, I remember thinking previously that he looks far more like an anery than a charcoal.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:33 PM   #3
Tavia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
Looking at Warric, I remember thinking previously that he looks far more like an anery than a charcoal.
I'm thinking maybe he is an Anery het Charcoal instead and something was off with that first pairing, like maybe retained sperm from another male? That would explain why the owner got the results that convinced them he wasn't homo Anery A and had to be Anery B instead.

Only other option is that Persephone is the mixed up one, homo Anery A and het Charcoal but that would seem too unlikely and she really does look like a Phantom.

I agree, I thought Warric always did look more Anery A ...

Old 07-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #4
Dragonling
Even looking at photos of her in the egg box where you can just see part of her sides she looks charcoal to me, and I agree she's got a phantom-ish look to her. We'll see what hatches from the other eggs I guess?

Old 07-25-2017, 03:34 PM   #5
Tavia
This is the results the previous owner had, "I ended up with 50% normal colored (possibly red factor) vanishing stripes and 50% anery ("A" I think) normal patterns (like, not stripes) that were expressing the widestripe, but more broken, unlike the male you have."

Old 07-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #6
Tavia
What the previous owner also said. "That is possible. He could be homo anery, het charcoal. The female was sold to me as a salmon vanishing pattern ghost, but maybe she was homo both? Which would explain the results of my clutch as well."

Old 07-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #7
Dragonling
If the salmon VP ghost was homo charcoal as well, they wouldn't have gotten normals then either though. Has anything else odd emerged? I'm almost wondering if a null allele could cause something like this to happen. Hmm.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:41 PM   #8
Tavia
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. We've gotten some kind of Classic colored baby and a Charcaol Tessera about half out so far. Two more eggs left to pip. Based on the eyes, I am pretty sure it is a Charcoal and not an Anery A.

Not a great picture of it's eye but the best I've got at the moment.

And the Blizzard is out too and a pain to take pictures of.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google