CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Okeetee Stuff

Old 09-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #1
jessicashallperish
Okeetee Stuff

I have some questions

I'm searching for a male for my beautiful Abbott okeetee, and I love ROS so I may go with one
My question being, if I were to breed an ERO to this super nice okeetee, would the high white from him translate into black on the offspring?

Has anyone bred an ERO to an Okeetee?

Old 09-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #2
Arpolis
No. The reverse Okeetee is not completely poly genically bred. Those are a combination of the poly genically bred okeetee and the A-melenistic or red albino gene combined. The Amel gene is resecive to the wild type gene. And to go further an Okeetee is just a very pretty wild type gene. So all of your first year offspring will look closer to mom as the Okeetee phase and only be "het" for the Amel gene. Then either the father, another Reverse Okeetee or a het amel Okeetee bred to a female you raid from that clutch will start to produce babies that are like the Reverse Okeetee.

Hope that is not as clear as mud and makes sense.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #3
jessicashallperish
I don't think you understood my question.

I know, that the offspring will be normals like mom, what I'm asking is, if I breed an animal with thick white borders to an animal with thick black borders, will the offspring be similar/better?

Old 09-14-2017, 01:28 AM   #4
Arpolis
The color of the borders are determined by the Amel gene or dominant wild type. The shape and size of the borders are results of the polygenic breeding. So if both parents have thick borders then it is safe to assume the offspring will as well. Just being wild type then they will be all black. So "better" is hard to say. If mom has some black borders and the father has really pronounced thick borders then you are probably looking at offspring that has thicker and more pronounced bordering than mom and possible as good but more likley less than Dad. Hope that helps.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google