CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Hmmmmm....can we solve the riddle of Tango's mother?

Old 01-27-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
LadyJemima
Hmmmmm....can we solve the riddle of Tango's mother?

SO....I was THRILLED to discover the genetics of Mr. Tango's father yesterday. His dad is an Ultramel Abbot's Okeetee het Sunkiss. How cool! Two questions:

1. If a clutch was conceived (not hatched) in April, would the babies be ready for sale by October / November of that year?

2. Tango is, obviously, a spitting image of his father. Hence I would also call him an Ultramel Okeetee.

I have NO idea how genetics work in snakes, but can one of our expert breeders here tell me if we have any idea what mom might be, based on Tango and his father both being an Ultramel?

The breeder (who has not the friendliest) has not responded to my inquiry, but he did document two April pairings on his FB page:

...a Sunkissed Okeetee

...and a Reverse Okeetee

Old 01-27-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
paulh
1. Figure 2 months between conception and egg laying, then 2 more months for incubation, and another month for a meal or two after hatching. Then even with conception at the end of April, babies would be ready to sell by the beginning of October. Mating may take place several weeks before conception, though, and that is where the major uncertainty lies.

2. Sorry. All that is sure is that Mom was an Okeetee. Either female in the pictures could be Mom. Or Mom could be an entirely different snake.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:43 PM   #3
LadyJemima
Paul, thanks for the info! You say that we know Mom was an Okeetee -- could you explain why, genetically? Very interested.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:55 AM   #4
Shiari
Of those 2 females the RO is most likely to be mom if your baby is indeed an ultramel.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google