CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Awkward situation (important)

Old 05-21-2017, 06:28 AM   #1
zerensipahioglu
Awkward situation (important)

Hello everyone.
I'm having a really weird situation with one of my young females. She's around 160 grams/70cm and pretty small to be bred and produce and I never put her in with a male before. She's a little over 2 years old and around 40 days ago she started ovulating on her own. I was feeling follicles and then she stopped eating. And still today I'm almost sure they're now eggs because they got bigger and easy to feel. I don't even need to try, when she's slithering through my fingers I can easily count 8 eggs inside her. But she never shed. There's not even a prelay shed I can count on. It's been over a month since she's all bloated with eggs and eggs are not even near the cloaca so I can't even say she's egg bound. She's still not eating. I don't know what to do with her. Again, she was never bred. I have 0 herp vets near me. Only one I know is in a city that is very far away from the city I live.
Any kind of advice or opinion is very helping at this point. Thank you so much already.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #2
canicemok
There's nothing you can do about it. Wild corn snakes breed in much lighter weight compared to the recommended weight in captivity. They will ovulate when their natural instinct tells them to do so.
You should now prepare a lay box for her. After she lays the slugs, feed her more frequently to build up the weight.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:54 PM   #3
zerensipahioglu
Quote:
Originally Posted by canicemok View Post
There's nothing you can do about it. Wild corn snakes breed in much lighter weight compared to the recommended weight in captivity. They will ovulate when their natural instinct tells them to do so.
You should now prepare a lay box for her. After she lays the slugs, feed her more frequently to build up the weight.
Yeah I did prepare a lay box for her. The only issue is she didn't shed and doesn't look like she's going into shed. Is there a chance that she can lay without shedding or that she can take longer to be ready to lay?

Old 05-22-2017, 12:18 AM   #4
canicemok
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerensipahioglu View Post
Yeah I did prepare a lay box for her. The only issue is she didn't shed and doesn't look like she's going into shed. Is there a chance that she can lay without shedding or that she can take longer to be ready to lay?
Corns don't follow the books. Some of them lay without a pre-lay shed. Some just take a long long time before she lays. As long as you provide a lay box I think it should be ok. I will start to worry if she won't lay after a month.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:44 AM   #5
zerensipahioglu
Quote:
Originally Posted by canicemok View Post
Corns don't follow the books. Some of them lay without a pre-lay shed. Some just take a long long time before she lays. As long as you provide a lay box I think it should be ok. I will start to worry if she won't lay after a month.
Alright. I guess all I can do is wait at this point. Thank you for your time and help.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:38 PM   #6
zerensipahioglu
She reabsorbed, I guess they were just really big follicles we can close this thread thank you

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google