CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Can you ID my snake?

Old 07-29-2017, 09:47 PM   #1
SeverusApophis
Can you ID my snake?

I'm new to corn snakes. I got this little guy from a pet store a few months back. He was labeled a blood red but I believe that as much as the feeding schedule they gave me. If it was accurate he's at least 8 months old.

The split belly pattern only goes 2/3 of the way up from his tail.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:05 PM   #2
Shiari
Normal masque. It's probably het for diffused since it is clearly not homozygous diffused.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:12 AM   #3
Dragonling
If you got him from a big box store, I'd believe 8 months. Growth is based on feeding, not age. Big box stores by policy feed one pinky (and ours come in tiny) weekly, which is sufficient to maintain them but not really enough to encourage much growth. Even many mom and pop stores and breeders maintenance feed babies for sale.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:30 PM   #4
Shiari
Ah, I missed the 'pet store' part. Normal masque, and the age could indeed be accurate.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:19 PM   #5
SeverusApophis
Well that is unfortunate. I wanted to get a snake from an expo but it skipped my region this year. He was at the store the longest so I got suckered into buying him.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:27 PM   #6
Twolunger
I don't really know why you think you were suckered into buying him, unless you were looking specifically for a bloodred. He's a nice corn snake and many people like the normal, or classic, colors. Last year I only hatched a few normal and they sold just as quickly as other morphs. In the future I would only buy from reputable breeders, several are right on this forum.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:29 PM   #7
DollysMom
You still have yourself a beauty of a snake. As has often been said, if normal were a new morph people would be tripping over themselves to get one!

I only have two, but one of mine is a very beloved normal -- not even masque! I wouldn't trade her for anything.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:18 PM   #8
SeverusApophis
I don't think there is anything wrong with normals. There was a normal there that I liked better it wasn't shy at all. They just went on about how this one had been there so long and it was a bloodred. I didn't know any better at the time. They were probably just trying to get me to pay more for him.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:40 AM   #9
DollysMom
Now I got it. I hope you didn't overpay. Hopefully it was ignorance rather than avarice on their part.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:04 AM   #10
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeverusApophis View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with normals. There was a normal there that I liked better it wasn't shy at all. They just went on about how this one had been there so long and it was a bloodred. I didn't know any better at the time. They were probably just trying to get me to pay more for him.
Chances are good (especially if it was a big box store) it was sent to them as a bloodred, and because that's what it was in their inventory that's what they have to sell it as. It's just how large stores have to operate. Pet store employees generally don't care how much you spend and frequently would HAPPILY offer a discount if they were able to see an animal go to a stable home. I don't know what the climate is like right now in PetCo or PSP, but at PetSmart the push is for multiple items in a transaction, not big money purchases.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google