CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Amber vs Honey vs Gold Dust

Old 11-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
kaityk55
Amber vs Honey vs Gold Dust

Hello! I’m new to the snake world and as an avid student of genetics (informally though as I am an ecology major), I love the variety of morphs that corn snakes can come in and the genetics behind them. I particularly want to get one of the beautiful yellow, caramel-based morphs, but I’m having trouble seeing the difference between ambers, honeys, and gold dusts. I understand that they are genetically different, but I’ve been trying to compare them visually on Ian’s Vivarium and they all look basically the same to me.

So for you experienced corn lovers out there, can you tell me the difference between the amber, honey, and gold dust morphs?

(As an aside, I’m mainly looking at these morphs because my goal is to find a corn that is bright yellow while also having distinct saddles with relatively dark borders. So far, these three morphs, along with good ol’ fashioned caramels, seem like my best bets, but I’m open to other suggestions. So bonus points if you can tell me which morph is most likely to be the pattern I want! )

Old 11-11-2017, 07:34 PM   #2
Dragonling
Of the three you mentioned, Honey is the most obvious, since Sunkissed is both a pattern and a color modifier. Once you learn to spot typical SK head stamps, you'll see a difference in morphs containing SK pretty much immediately.

I wonder if anyone has tried producing Okeetee-phase Topaz yet. That might also give you the look you're after, with thick dark brown/off-black saddles on bright yellow. Red Coat might give you the extra punch to darken the saddles further. Perhaps if you have interest in breeding that might be a goal option for the future. Red Coat Lava Okeetees are already becoming much more common, and I have seen more and more Butter Okeetees as well, so I bet it wouldn't be too difficult to start up with a project pair/trio.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:46 AM   #3
kaityk55
Good to know! I'll have to study up on my Sunkissed head patterns then.

A topaz okeetee would cool! Google has yielded me only one pic of a caramel okeetee, which is gorgeous, but makes me think that not many people have tried mixing caramel morphs (other than butters) with okeetees yet.

I'm looking more for a pet than to start a breeding project so I doubt that I'll be the one to do it, but it's a great idea for someone else to try!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google