CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Alabama x Okeetee =?

Old 12-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #1
Cane
Alabama x Okeetee =?

I'm eventually going to get more corns (and probably other colubrids too). Couple questions though.

I love my male Okeetee, Shesha, and I might go with a female Okee but I wondered what would be the result of an Okee x Alabama produce? Would all of the offspring be a mix of both or would I get some of each? I'll probably educate myself a little on genetics before hand but was just wondering.

Another question I have is about temperament (personality). Is there any general difference in males and females?

Oh yea, and is anyone here breeding Alabamas?!!

Thanks
Cane

Old 12-09-2017, 04:54 PM   #2
Shiari
They'll be all normals expressing a range of colors and border widths.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:20 PM   #3
Twolunger
I see no advantage to mating two normals. I'd lean more to finding a beautiful extreme Okeetee female for Shesha. But if you like the looks of the Alabama corns I know VMSherp.com has several 2016 and even an adult pair for sale.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:29 AM   #4
Cane
Thanks! This is actually pretty intriguing. I might just go in BOTH directions. Might just get some combination of the normal x normal that would be worth selecting for. Probably at least be pretty enough to be able to sell off any non-keepers.

Now if I could just get my brASS in gear and get my terrarium built!

Old 12-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #5
MysticExotics
Outcross Alabama's tend to have more tan ground color, you likely won't get the metallic grey if crossed with an Okeetee.
In my Alabama Locality thread, in the intial post, you can see the last two pictured have tan ground color. Those two are from an outcrossed pairing.

In my F1 Alabama Tessera pairing (Alabama X Tessera from Okeetee Tessera project) you can see the babies ended up with a more tan ground color.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:17 PM   #6
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane View Post
Thanks! This is actually pretty intriguing. I might just go in BOTH directions. Might just get some combination of the normal x normal that would be worth selecting for. Probably at least be pretty enough to be able to sell off any non-keepers.

Now if I could just get my brASS in gear and get my terrarium built!
Just my advice, but don't try to reinvent the wheel. As you can see, others have already moved past the initial pairings. If you find an adult mate for your corn, and are successful getting eggs, and they hatch, you then have to raise the hatchlings to evaluate their colors. Then you have to wait at least 3 years to mate the offspring, then start the whole process again to judge the results. By then you will be my age and wonder why you started the process in the first place. LOL.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #7
Cane
Thanks for that. I'll still probably give it a try. Not as any super breeding program or anything but just something to do.

I'm not to keen on the fancier paint job corns. I'd like to eventually get some "pure" locality pairs going for mouse money and maybe see if anything pretty results from mixing localities.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #8
Twolunger
Even the supposedly "pure" locality corns have a lot of variation. Just check out the Alabama corns offered for sale. I see some that I'd like to have in my collection and others that don't appeal to me. Anyway, good luck with your endeavor.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #9
Cane
Thanks. In the end, it's all just for fun and the love of cornsnakes!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google