CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Kisses?

Old 04-23-2002, 07:57 PM   #1
jjunner
Question Kisses?

I was just wondering if it is safe for my snake if I kiss her? ( that sounds so wrong when i type it) i mean - are there any germs or anything that can get her sick?
any help is appreciated.

Old 04-23-2002, 08:13 PM   #2
Iris
Jeff, I kiss my snake ALL THE TIME and we're both still alive. Um..2 places I would avoid though are the head and the vent. The vent...well it's kind of obvious...you don't want those germs... and I THINK I read somewhere that snakes interpret a touch on their head and upper body as an attack and they get scared. But if your snake is very calm and docile and trusts you, perhaps she wouldn't respond negatively to a peck on the head.
Otherwise, I don't know any other reasons not to kiss your snake...Except do ALL reptiles have salmonella bacteria? Can that be transferred from pet reptile ---> owner? If anyone knows and would like to help out..that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-23-2002, 08:18 PM   #3
kenalotia
Yes, snakes can carry salmonella. I don't know if every single individual carries it, but it's pretty hard to figure out if your snake does or not. And it can be transferred from your pet corn snake to you. Small children are more susceptible to it, though. That's why you should wash your hands when you're done handling your snake.

I really don't know the likelihood of getting salmonella from a corn snake, though, I just know that it's possible.

Old 04-23-2002, 10:03 PM   #4
nicky
ya they carry saminalla

ya snakes carry saminalla but you know I'll take my chance even thoe to a snake kisses may not be a signh of love to us it is so since I love my corn so much i don't mind. Fact I don't think you've got much to worry about probably based on luck but I've kissed plenty of wild specimans that my and my cousins catch for fun and keep for 2 days befor relaesing them nothing happened so I say kiss your snake just know that there's the smallest of chance of getting saminalla but with a breed speciman the chance are lik 1 in 10,000,000,000 something like that well hope that helped it was good of you to be carefull like that I never think about thayt till it's to late (prbably be my downfall in the head since I plan to work with snakes) oh well I'd rather work with snakes saving snakes and die because of snakes rather than never worked with snakes at all.
you can cuddle snakes to talk to em kiss em.
there so cute
sorry I'm a bit of a snake crazed person

Old 04-23-2002, 10:15 PM   #5
Elaphe_Mo
yes there's a chance you could get salmonella from kissing your snake. I know it is tempting to give them a kiss they are so cute but have you ever had salmonella? It isn't pretty and it can be dangerous for the young or those with compromised immune systems. I let my snakes lick my nose, that's my kind of snake kisses. I don't want to take the risk, so my snakes stay away from my mouth.

Old 04-23-2002, 11:17 PM   #6
Missymonkey
kiss of death muah ah ah

I agree with Elaphe Mo salamenella is no fun, it's like food poisoning but much much worse... and it can take awhile to recover from it,... I like the snake kissing my nose thing that's cute, but salamenella isn't just a simple little flu it is much more like a week long trip to gut bombsville
just be safe is all i am saying, kisses after a bath are obviously safer tha kisses before, and washing your hands is always a good idea after snake handling and cleaning...

Old 04-23-2002, 11:40 PM   #7
Iris
oh..Well I didn't know it was so likely that you could get salmonella from your corn...well I mean I thought it was like a remote remote possiblilty. Oh. Well I guess I will limit my kisses from now on...only after baths or maybe I'll let him kiss me. I certainly don't want salmonella..especially before my piano recital and regents and finals and ahhh!!!

Old 04-26-2002, 07:23 AM   #8
Rachel
Just to let you guys know....my friend is in hospital right now after getting salmonella from his snake. So the odds arent that high!! It could happen to any of us. Like some of the other guys, I let my snakes kiss me....much safer!
And Kayla, Id be very careful about keeping wild snakes. You could take in diseases and infect Nicky plus you are probably seriously stressing the snakes out! I mean wild snakes dont particularly like humans!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google