CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

His first live one!

Old 03-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
Lyion
The mouse thrown into the enclosure is unatural. A mouse in the wild would be able to run, the snake would have to ambush it, not simply corner it.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
guagerage
did i miss something on not to feed live? i just want someone who does feed live to see if he is doing ok or see if i should do something different to help with the choice i made.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #13
Lyion
Alright. I will comment on the saftey. He is not a very aggressive feeder and he does not eat head first. If this diet continues he is in more danger than most corns on live

Old 03-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
Lyion
If you want to continue this diet I will be respectful but I would suggest you feed F/T until he becomes more aggressive with feeding.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #15
guagerage
thank you lyion

Old 03-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #16
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by guagerage View Post
This is his first live one and i want to know what eveyonr thinks? tips and pointers are welcome due to this is my first cornsanke.

http://youtu.be/dWzzOZirnOk
I think we are all snake owners here and are well aware of how snakes kill and eat their prey. Yours is no different. Tips and pointers would be, why the heck do you want to feed live if you don't have to? But- no one listens to reason, you have your "rights," so as you were...

Old 03-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #17
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by guagerage View Post
did i miss something on not to feed live? i just want someone who does feed live to see if he is doing ok or see if i should do something different to help with the choice i made.
Apparently you have missed ALOT of things....
and yes you should do something different...like NOT feed live!!!

Unless of course you like parasites in your snake, and the possibility that he could lose an eye someday, and you like going to the pet shop every week and spending alot of live when thaweed is much safer, cheaper and easier.

Unless the spectacle gives you some sort of psycho-sexual thrill that matters more to you than your pet's health, and if that is the case you are just a selfish pet owner that is beyond any kind of help.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
Cassie16
The topic of feeding live has become a source of heated debate on this site. It's a hot button issue, the "abortion" of cornsnakes.com. There isn't a middle ground; those who are against it will not be swayed, and visa versa.

Most people on this site passionately and wholeheartedly disagree with the practice, and are equipped with well-thought, documented forms of argument against it. If there are regular users who feed live, I assume they refrain from discussing it. Those who bring it up usually find themselves at odds with everyone. I would say not to let that discourage you from gleaming knowledge from the wonderful users on this site.

I guess it's like my relationship with my coworkers- I adore them, gain a great deal of insight from them, but refrain from discussing religion/gun rights/capital punishment with them, because I would hate for our relationship to be marred by a difference in opinion.

I personally don't see any benefits of feeding live, and that's that. I also really don't think anyone who does it is a "sicko" or engaging in sick entertainment. If I told my boyfriend right now, "go pick up a live mouse- this is going down", he would jump at the opportunity, and I don't fault him for that. (Although I wouldn't let it happen! We would end up with a pet mouse, not a meal for the snake!)

I can respect the sport of hunting, although I would never engage in it myself. It's sort of the same thing to me. It could be argued that hunting doesn't put your pet in danger, but I'm ignoring that

Old 03-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #19
BloodyBaroness
I feed live, but ONLY to animals that will absolutely not take frozen thawed. I do it for corns and ball pythons. I have done it for years and years. I've seen the damage a rodent can do.

You can see in the first few seconds of the video, your snake is clearly used to eating frozen thawed. It had no clue what to do with a live prey item. If that rodent was a size that had teeth your snake WOULD have been bitten and bitten badly.

Based on the reaction of your snake, it's a bad choice to feed him live. He tried to start eating it just like a frozen/thawed item.

If you must feed live, pre-kill them.

There is no reason on earth why your snake can't eat pre-killed.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #20
Soulwind
Guagerage,

While we (mostly) all here advocate F/T over Live, in the end it is your choice to make. We don't think it's the right choice, but it is your choice.

However, your initial post didn't read as "I've made my choice to do live feedings and want to get tips and tricks from other live feeders as to the best way to go about it".

Your post:
"This is his first live one and i want to know what eveyonr thinks? tips and pointers are welcome due to this is my first cornsanke."

Which (to me at least) reads more like "I'm looking for info from other keepers as this is my first snake, oh and I just fed him a live mouse [probably doing as I was told to do by the pet store guy]"

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google