CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Fresh dead vs f/t?

Old 03-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
mgwood81
Fresh dead vs f/t?

I have had my corn for 1 1/2 years now and have feed her fresh dead from the day I got her. The reptile store I got her from is right down the street from me and that's what they do with all of their reptiles and she suggested I do as well. Being they are right down the street it's no problem getting them live. let me first say I have not and will not ever feed live.

My question comes after reading about parasites in live mice. Is this something I should really be concerned about and switch her to f/t? I really trust and have a great relationship with the store owners and have for 2 years now. I fully trust their judgement and know they only want the best for their pets and the ones they sell. If any one has feed fresh dead for a lengthy period with or without problems I would love the feed back. Thank you all!!

Old 03-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwood81 View Post
I have had my corn for 1 1/2 years now and have feed her fresh dead from the day I got her. The reptile store I got her from is right down the street from me and that's what they do with all of their reptiles and she suggested I do as well. Being they are right down the street it's no problem getting them live. let me first say I have not and will not ever feed live.

My question comes after reading about parasites in live mice. Is this something I should really be concerned about and switch her to f/t? I really trust and have a great relationship with the store owners and have for 2 years now. I fully trust their judgement and know they only want the best for their pets and the ones they sell. If any one has feed fresh dead for a lengthy period with or without problems I would love the feed back. Thank you all!!
Yes there are parasites in live mice so that is one concern.
If you want what is best for the snake overall feed f/t. If not....
If you buy f/t in bulk it is cheaper for you in the long run too.

I'm sure other will have there feed back too for ya.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
David B
Why not live?

I am curious why you will not feed live. I have always fed live but I do not get them from a pet store, I get mine from a breeder I found on Craigslist (there are usually several) I pay 50 cents per mouse, the breeder racks are usually kept cleaner than a pet stores tanks and It satisfies the snakes natural instinct to hunt.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
NickP961
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
I am curious why you will not feed live. I have always fed live but I do not get them from a pet store, I get mine from a breeder I found on Craigslist (there are usually several) I pay 50 cents per mouse, the breeder racks are usually kept cleaner than a pet stores tanks and It satisfies the snakes natural instinct to hunt.
Uh oh. I can just see a debate coming already.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
mgwood81
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
I am not going to feed live for the obvious reasons. I do not want this to become a debate about that either. I would like feed back on my OP only please.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
Carinata
If you get your mice from a good clean supplier, you won't run the risk of parasites. Just make sure your supplier is a solid one. F/K and F/T are both safe feeders! F/T will save you money in the long run, but it's up to you! Hope this helps!

Old 03-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
mgwood81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carinata View Post
If you get your mice from a good clean supplier, you won't run the risk of parasites. Just make sure your supplier is a solid one. F/K and F/T are both safe feeders! F/T will save you money in the long run, but it's up to you! Hope this helps!
Thank you very much, not concerned about the cost.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
Carinata
Anytime! If you have anymore questions please ask!

Old 03-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
AliCat37
I second what Carinata says! If you trust your source then freshly killed is fine. I fed freshly killed mice for quite some time before I moved away from my rodent source, now I just buy a whole bunch of f/t from him to make the drive worth it.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
DragonsDenSerpents
Seconding what Carinata and AliCat say. If you trust your source and aren't concerned about costs, I can't see any issues with fresh killed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google