CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Fresh dead vs f/t?

Old 03-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #31
firfly
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifullywild77 View Post
If it was your colony and you tested the colony from time to time you could have a safe feeder colony.
I may try that, I think it would be alot cheaper and for me in the long run, and benificial for my snake as well...LOL between you and me defacing the American flag is wrong!!! LOL

Old 03-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #32
David B
So no one is concerned with satisfying their snakes natural instinct to hunt? Guess I just love my snakes more.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #33
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
So no one is concerned with satisfying their snakes natural instinct to hunt? Guess I just love my snakes more.
If you feed live and don't care about risking your snake's health and life from parasites or bite wounds I just don't see that as love. As far as the "natural instinct to hunt", there is NOTHING natural about living in a box in someone's house. Pets don't live natural lives, or die from things that wild animals do.
Dogs and cats and other pets have a natural instinct to hunt too, why don't we just let our pets kill things then?

Edited to add, David you should do a search under live feeding. It is pretty much frowned upon here, for many reasons. The best snake keepers just don't do it....

Old 03-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #34
beautifullywild77
Quote:
There is nothing natural about having a snake in a cage and throwing in a live mice run way too many risks. There is nothing natural about having them not being about get away from each other if things dont go right.

My snakes strike and coil around the f/t just like if it was life. So saying you love your snakes more because you feed life is ridiculous and sounds to me like you want a debate.

You might use the search button to see that feeding live is a very heated subject on this forum.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #35
starsevol
I adore my snakes and tend to prefer them with no scars, both eyes and no worms!!

Old 03-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #36
Christen
I prefer f/t because I find it easy. I can stock up on mice and just open the freezer and thaw when it is time to feed. Not to mention it wouldn't be cost effective for me to feed f/k. I just bought a year supply of f/t for the same price it would cost me to do f/k. They only way I could save more money is if I bred them myself but I would just have a munch of pets then. lol

Quote:
As already stated nothing in natural about eating in a box and I can give my snakes the same joy by dangling the food just as I would a live one and giving a few tugs of the tail once they grab it. It even becomes a game for a few of them. Then those that are shy eaters and won't eat in front of me I don't have to worry about them getting eaten alive. I have had a snake get hurt while he grab right and it was fast the mouse still managed to get a tooth in my snake while I was watching. It is just not worth it to me. I love my scale babies to much to let them get hurt if I can avoid it.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #37
Lennycorn
Quote:
How do you know if you satisfyed it?? What the difference??
All this live feeding talk because it better or natural is just a joke to me.

If the corn snake will die because it won't eat nothing else beside live, That's the only reason to feed live.

Simple as that.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #38
bitsy
Quote:
So no one is concerned with satisfying their snakes natural instinct to hunt?
What about satisfying their natural instinct to not live in a box in your home?

Seems that if you're all about satisfying their natural instincts, then you wouldn't be keeping Corns as pets in the first place.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #39
Shiari
Quote:
Hunh. I guess I should be releasing mice and rabbits in my home for my cats and dog to hunt and consume, because it would satisfy their natural instincts. And I guess it was wrong of me to neuter them, because I suppressed their natural instincts to fight, mark territory, and procreate. And I should give them fleas, so it satisfies their natural instinct to scratch at fleas.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #40
7legion77
David, it's your choice entirely. These people always say same thing because they feel sorry for the mouse, they're on a propaganda mission of some kind.

If you're aware of the risks, go ahead and feed live just make sure the snake is ravenously hungry. And if these folks get their panties in a bunch don't waste your time, I'm amazed how this doesn't get old for them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google