CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

RI Treatment (How-to)

Old 04-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #61
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carinata View Post
18 years ago they suggested dusting roaches with a pro-biotic? Hmmm never heard that one.
Honestly, I don't know because Toby did not eat roaches. But there were various calcium products on the market back then that were reccommended to sprinkle on his food. I used Nutrical.
So there is a good chance that supplements were used for other lizards as well.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #62
Carinata
I've talked to a lot of old school lizard guys. Pro-biotics were never tried. I use Calcium D3 and nurti-bac.

I accept your apology, and understand where you're coming from, but if anyone looks me up on Fauna, or looks into my work with AFTs, you'd never know I was 18. Nearly every customer I talk to, and tell I'm 18, tell me that I don't sound like it. If you didn't know my age, how old would you assume I was? Age is merely a number. My age and my experience are 2 different things. I've been doing this for 10 years, but in those 10 years I've had the privledge to meet a lot of people, and learn a lot. This is my thing, this is my career, and this is my hobby. I work with reptiles every day, at work, and at home. I wouldn't change it for anything. I would appriciate if people took that into consideration when criticizing me. Beth, I may irk you when I post, but I'm not ashamed to say I've been doing this for 10 years. I'm proud of that fact and will flaunt it. I'm proud I stuck with it, and didn't give up. I guess, I do come off rude sometimes, that's not my intention.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #63
bitsy
I kept lizards in the 1980s and their crickets were always dusted with something called "Herptovit", if I remember the name correctly. That was given to me as a basic husbandry requirement when I bought them.

I bought it in loose bags from my local reptile tourist attraction, so I never knew what exactly was in it.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #64
Carinata
Yes, Calcium D3 dusting has always been staple. Adding a pro-biotic hasn't.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #65
starsevol
Quote:
I've talked to a lot of old school lizard guys. Pro-biotics were never tried. I use Calcium D3 and nurti-bac.

I accept your apology, and understand where you're coming from, but if anyone looks me up on Fauna, or looks into my work with AFTs, you'd never know I was 18. Nearly every customer I talk to, and tell I'm 18, tell me that I don't sound like it. If you didn't know my age, how old would you assume I was? Age is merely a number. My age and my experience are 2 different things. I've been doing this for 10 years, but in those 10 years I've had the privledge to meet a lot of people, and learn a lot. This is my thing, this is my career, and this is my hobby. I work with reptiles every day, at work, and at home. I wouldn't change it for anything. I would appriciate if people took that into consideration when criticizing me. Beth, I may irk you when I post, but I'm not ashamed to say I've been doing this for 10 years. I'm proud of that fact and will flaunt it. I'm proud I stuck with it, and didn't give up. I guess, I do come off rude sometimes, that's not my intention.
But, how old are you now? Either 18 or 19 right? So, when you say you've been "doing this" for 10 years, you can understand how people who do know how old you are are feeling, right?
I mean, what you do now and what you did 10 years ago are not the same thing at all, how can they be?
No matter how passionate you were at 8, no matter what a good little keeper you were, how can that be seen at the same level to what you are doing now?
Personally I think you "began" what you are doing now when you went against everyone's advice and got Jasmine (that's her name, right) and proved all of us wrong when you proved a great keeper to her.
I also think we need more pictures of her.....remember how you loved her?

Oh yeah and edited to add, doing something you love for however length of time is a wonderful thing, but not neccessarily something to be proud of. Learning as you go, and doing whatever is in the animal's best interests are REALLY something to be proud of. Just because someone does something for a long long time, does not mean they are doing it well. Right?

Old 04-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #66
Carinata
You're right Beth. It's a lot different. I think when I got Jasmine stuff did change quite a bit, and I changed a lot of things. I want to do this as a career, because I love it. I love every second of the breeding, and the babies hatching, to nailing a big sale. I enjoy all of it. I still love my small snake collection, I just don't have time to take pictures! Jasmines around 7 foot now. I made a ton of mistakes when I started and I still make mistakes. My collection has reached the size where I don't have time to go through and handle everything, but everything is well cared for. In all honesty, my job has taught me so much and given me such a better understanding of the hobby and animal husbandry. I'm just glad I got the chance to be involved in the hobby. My parents are supportive but never have paid for my hobby. I was doing chores up until I was 15, and now my hobby essentially supports itself, and then some. I want this to be my career, and will not stop until I'm at that point.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #67
starsevol
Quote:
You're right Beth. It's a lot different. I think when I got Jasmine stuff did change quite a bit, and I changed a lot of things. I want to do this as a career, because I love it. I love every second of the breeding, and the babies hatching, to nailing a big sale. I enjoy all of it. I still love my small snake collection, I just don't have time to take pictures! Jasmines around 7 foot now. I made a ton of mistakes when I started and I still make mistakes. My collection has reached the size where I don't have time to go through and handle everything, but everything is well cared for. In all honesty, my job has taught me so much and given me such a better understanding of the hobby and animal husbandry. I'm just glad I got the chance to be involved in the hobby. My parents are supportive but never have paid for my hobby. I was doing chores up until I was 15, and now my hobby essentially supports itself, and then some. I want this to be my career, and will not stop until I'm at that point.
I got my first reptile (Toby) when I was 32 and my first snake when I was 33. I have been in the hobby for 18 years. Sounds pretty impressive, right? Not so much as you being able to say you got your first snake at 8!! You having a pet snake at 8 and learning how to keep it properly says alot more than that you have been "doing this" for 10 years, wouldn't you say?

Old 04-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #68
Carinata
Beth, you're right. I tend to sound like I'm bragging, but it's that I'm so pround of my accomplishments, I say stuff without thinking. I'll make an honest effort to sound more humble.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #69
starsevol
Quote:
Beth, you're right. I tend to sound like I'm bragging, but it's that I'm so pround of my accomplishments, I say stuff without thinking. I'll make an honest effort to sound more humble.
Honey, if you accomplish one tenth of what you plan to, in a few years you can brag your bum off and no one will care.
But while the years are not on your side just yet, humble never hurts!

Old 04-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #70
Carinata
Yeah, I guess that's true LOL! I have a habit of getting ahead of myself! No wonder my mom always told me "David! Be humble!"

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google