CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

non feeder (help)

Old 04-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
firfly
Thanks Screamin, and wyldrose, that makes 3 people which have suggested the lizard scenting food. I may try this one first and see what happens, the snakes should arrive Tues. Think I will go Anole shopping, or maybe even rub a pink all over one the geckos we have and see.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
firfly
Also found someone with live pinks if, this will also be one of the first things tried.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
Wyldrose
Good luck! Hope he gets eating for you Maybe the trip to you will get him to eat.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #14
firfly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldrose View Post
Good luck! Hope he gets eating for you Maybe the trip to you will get him to eat.
Thats what I am praying will happen.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
firfly
Just out of curious how long you would go on trying to feed, befor force feeding a little one?

Old 04-23-2012, 03:29 AM   #16
diamondlil
One of my first snakes, Diamond Lil, was the reason I joined this site all those years ago, because she was starving to death as a non-feeder. When she was so thin you could see her spine I started syringe feeding her ground up pinks. By then I'd tried scenting, braining etc but in this country you can't buy live pinks. I got breeder mice and had to 'grow my own' pinks and she did eventually start eating. Personally, I'd try live pinks before tube feeding every time, but for me it bought Lil time and kept her from dying whilst waiting for live pinks.
I also rehabbed a non-feeder for someone else that came to me in a far worse state, it was 3g and had no muscle tone at all by the time he brought her to me, so I had to tube feed to get her big and strong enough to try live, which she then took to with gusto. when I'd got her feeding reliably on f/t and a good weight she went back to her owner.
I'd tube feed and work on a snake that was a pet again if I was asked, but I don't try special measures on the corns I breed. If they don't feed with simple things like braining, scenting etc I cull them. Not because I'm heartless, but because I only want to sell healthy trouble-free hatchlings. I don't want to risk selling snakes that won't thrive for their new owners. Plus there is always the thought in my mind that non-feeders are perhaps just not meant to survive, that they may have genetic or developmental problems that I don't want to be perpetuated.
One of the respected breeders on here described a 3 strikes policy towards hatchlings, which I thought was a terribly wicked attitude until I experienced the heartache of owning a corn that seemed determined to die in spite of all my efforts to save her. And then realised that for me I feel I have a duty to only sell corns that have a good chance of long and healthy lives for their new owners

Old 04-23-2012, 03:35 AM   #17
bitsy
Can't rep you again yet Janine, but much respect to you. Sometimes the tough decisions are the right ones.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:43 AM   #18
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsy View Post
Can't rep you again yet Janine, but much respect to you. Sometimes the tough decisions are the right ones.
My little fire male died last year, started off a good feeder, then just stopped and I culled him when he was losing condition. Cried literally all night. My very own, home-bred fire. He was one of the few out Polly's clutch to hatch so I'm thinking there were problems all along and he just wasn't meant to survive.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
firfly
I can understand that from a breeders perspective, however more than likely these will be kept as just pets. Not that I would never consider breeding, just fairly busy with other things. My corn snake inventory is limited to just one reverse Okeetee, other than these two coming in, so time limits working with him arent a real issue, plus there is the whole gaining experience thing. I just hope the trip down here does the trick, along with a live pink.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #20
diamondlil
Live. most times, does the trick. Fingers crossed for you

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google