CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

non feeder (help)

Old 04-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #21
Soulwind
So far I've been blessed with only good feeders.

Seriously, get a mouse anywhere even close to Ori's feeding box and he tail-rattles like a buzzsaw and then strikes from 1/2 way across the box to get that mouse......nom nom nom.....makes me smile every time.

But I'm curious, if you end up going with live pinkies, do you just stay with them or do you try and wean them over to F/T quickly? Do one or two live feeds then try a F/T or what? (or do you keep them on live pinkies and maybe try switching over when they go up to fuzzies?)??

Old 04-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #22
firfly
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil View Post
Live. most times, does the trick. Fingers crossed for you
Thanks, Diamondlil.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #23
firfly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
So far I've been blessed with only good feeders.

Seriously, get a mouse anywhere even close to Ori's feeding box and he tail-rattles like a buzzsaw and then strikes from 1/2 way across the box to get that mouse......nom nom nom.....makes me smile every time.

But I'm curious, if you end up going with live pinkies, do you just stay with them or do you try and wean them over to F/T quickly? Do one or two live feeds then try a F/T or what? (or do you keep them on live pinkies and maybe try switching over when they go up to fuzzies?)??
Thats my plan if he will take a live pink, then I will probably feed him two or three times that way. Then see if I can get him to take the F/T, from what I have read most will switch over, I just need to get him eating. Fingers crossed!

Old 04-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #24
diamondlil
No worries. As I said before, for a pet I was going to keep or as a favour to save someone else's pet, I'd tube feed if necessary. Losing a pet is heartbreaking.
For my breeders though, live is the limit I'll go to and even then I'm constrained by live feeding being so difficult here. You cannot buy a live mouse as a feeder. You cannot buy live pinkies. If you get a hatchling started by breeding your own pinks (totally legal) any new owner cannot legally buy live pinks, so you have to get the snake feeding reliably on FT before it goes to a new home.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #25
firfly
Well, I have everything lined out, for the new arrivals. While a little worried, it is hard not to be excited, as I do have a female coming which is currently feeding, the male was free ,as the current owner dosnt really have time for a non feeder, so just a plus. Both are Ultramel Lavender ph motely, I know all about the big ultra hybrid ,not hybrid thing ,but I think these particular snakes are gorgeous and like the look of the Ultras myself. I want to thank everyone for their help and ideas in dealing with a non feeder. I feel much better about dealing with this now, I will keep you all posted on how feeding gos. The soonest I can get a live pink will be Friday, so if they ship today, if not they will be shipped Wed.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #26
mini4x
for my two non-feeders I go them both going using the 'slap' method.. you basically hold the snakes body fairly tight fairly close to the head, and bop him in the nose a bunch of times with the pinky, he'll get annoyed and strike at it, once they get a hit down the hatch it goes.. two or three times doing that and they are both on to regular feeding.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #27
firfly
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4x View Post
for my two non-feeders I go them both going using the 'slap' method.. you basically hold the snakes body fairly tight fairly close to the head, and bop him in the nose a bunch of times with the pinky, he'll get annoyed and strike at it, once they get a hit down the hatch it goes.. two or three times doing that and they are both on to regular feeding.
Thanks, mini4x I have been looking for an explination of slap feeding as it was suggested, but I could never find a how to.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #28
schnebbles
Hi - I'm selling firfly these snakes. (PS - I haven't tried tuna, don't have any right now)

Question - Can I slice a frozen pinky in half and try that tonight? of course thawed after I slice it. I would like to get some food in him before he goes.

Yes they will be very nice, don't think you get a bad snake from Steve R.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #29
firfly
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles View Post
Hi - I'm selling firfly these snakes. (PS - I haven't tried tuna, don't have any right now)

Question - Can I slice a frozen pinky in half and try that tonight? of course thawed after I slice it. I would like to get some food in him before he goes.

Yes they will be very nice, don't think you get a bad snake from Steve R.
Of course, try what ever you want may be he will take it. LOL, sorry I guess I could have just named the saler instead of talking third person like that.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #30
schnebbles
that's ok! I don't mind at all. It probably wouldn't have mentioned the name of seller either.

I'm gonna try slicing a pinky here in a minute. Might work, might not, but anything is worth a try. I kinda tried slapping last time but it didn't work. This guy is so tiny and frisky! He needs handled more, he rattles his itty bitty tail, lol!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google