• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

just how fast does it take snakes to get scale rot anyhow?

This forum is downright tame compared to a Catahoula forum I'm on. That forum has a warning on it stating that the folks contributing are extremely passionate about the breed and will not filter their opinions or responses. Makes this forum look like summer camp!

This forum's also a lot nicer/kinder than the UK reptile forum. Man, the pile-ons that happen over there are kinda scary.

I got to page five, and got super tired of reading about "domesticated snakes", especially when it was pointed out that dogs are domestic, and cats are well on their way to becoming domestic. And because my feathers are ruffled, feral house cats do live in social colonies. their ancestor the african wild cat does not. dogs have been kept by people for at least 31k years, and as such, have devolved to fit our lifestyle. Snakes absolutely are not domestic and it is our job as keepers to make them as comfortable as possible as we force them, as wild animals, to live in our homes and tolerate handling. Sure a nice sized cage might make one comfortable, but definitely not two. And especially not two males. I have to agree with the fellow members here, these snakes are highly stressed out. It's pretty simple to divide your cage in half and then they both can relax. Just grab some styrofoam and make it look pretty then put it in the middle and seal up the edges with some expanding foam. Works very well, that's how my cages are divided.

Value your morals. You can't change the world....You CAN change your behavior.

Yes, we _can_ change some people's poor husbandry through education. I can't tell you how many people have been warned of the dangers of feeding live, said that's okay, I'll take the risk, I can keep my snake safe, who later come back after their snake is injured and say, you were right, my snake got hurt, now what do I do. Same thing with cohabbing and accidental clutches.

My morals say, if I can effect a change for one animal, it's worth hurting someone's pride, if that's what it takes.

I'm pretty sick of the state of the world right now, where everyone is a winner, where no one can have hurt feelings, where even if you suck, you still get to pass. The era of entitlement.

I've addressed my thoughts on the topic you've brought up in this sticky, though. I'm sure no one takes the time to read it, however.

Okay, Okay..As I said, this is my first ever participation with online forums. So I'm obviously naive with regards to how forums go. Sounds like this may be the norm. Lets be honest, this sounds so silly that so many people flock to forums just to bicker and fight religiously over their 'beliefs', trying to extenuate their behavior with the excuse that others do it so it's okay they do it too.

I'm extremely thankful to this forum and of course it's members for all the advice and help my kids and I have received. It's just hard to watch some get attacked so relentlessly. I would like to become a contributing member here but then I stumble across some horrible fights and non-stop bickering, I question what I'll be supporting.
This thread in particular quickly turned into a joke between some as they downright teased and laughed at others simply because of a difference in opinion - Regardless of who's right and who's wrong - It's ridiculous.I don't intend to discredit passionate debates in any way, I just don't believe you need to set the bar at such extremes of what's acceptable 'passion' and what's obviously useless banter...don't tell me you just couldn't state your opinion and leave it at that.

Colleen

I'm a pitbull owner myself, and your right that's incorrect..My dog wouldn't hurt anyone. I should have said a pack of feral dogs.

I'm not saying you should sugar coat it. I admit I'm naive. I understand you guys get annoyed arguing the same thing, over and over and over....But it get's carried away and I'm being honest with my opinion. I can handle the banter myself, doesn't change the fact it's not easy to see others be attacked.

It happens when people say, repeatedly, I don't care what the facts, history, anecdotal evidence shows, I _know_ better. When people say they will knowingly risk harm to their animal.

I will say this, not everyone attacked or belittled the OP. I never called names. I tried to point out facts, which were totally ignored by the OP and her supporter.

It happens when people say, repeatedly, I don't care what the facts, history, anecdotal evidence shows, I _know_ better. When people say they will knowingly risk harm to their animal.

Exactly. When people knowing disregard their animal's safety, that's when it's time for tough love or alternate tactics.

Not all threads escalate, but when clearly there is something very wrong going, people are going to stand up for what they believe. No one will get "attacked," as you say, for no good reason. This thread started out calm, then blatant disregard for the animals well being was displayed by the OP so things got heated.

I will sleep better at night knowing I gave it my all to get through to this person, rather than leave it at "well you know that's wrong, but imma go over here and sit on my thumbs because someone might get butt hurt."

Lets be honest, this sounds so silly that so many people flock to forums just to bicker and fight religiously over their 'beliefs', trying to extenuate their behavior with the excuse that others do it so it's okay they do it too.

For the record, again, please scroll back up and see that this isn't a belief - it's proven through research.
Please read it, if that's what you're going to claim.

What some consider animal abuse isn't something people take lightly.

I DO, however, agree that once it's been said, there's no use repeating the same thing if someone has already made the statement that they "know the pros and cons and will be doing it anyway".
It's just a crappy thing to know an animal is stressed and to not be able to do anything about it.

WCN, I am sorry you feel that way.
Knowing what her snakes are going through, every minute of every single day literally makes me feel sick. They are suffering and she refuses to do one simple thing to fix it. So, yeah, I am going to speak up.

If I saw someone throwing a kitten against a wall, or kicking a puppy I would do the same. Same thing to me. A human beings widdle feerings take second place to something like that.

I just read through this whole thread and I find it somewhat humorous that the co-habbers have neglected to reply for a little while. Did they decide to carry on in their ignorance or accept defeat? We may never know.

I just read through this whole thread and I find it somewhat humorous that the co-habbers have neglected to reply for a little while. Did they decide to carry on in their ignorance or accept defeat? We may never know.

Or accept defeat while carrying on in their ignorance. Close minded people with ignorant beliefs that don't want to change will remain just that... :headbang:

Or accept defeat while carrying on in their ignorance. Close minded people with ignorant beliefs that don't want to change will remain just that... :headbang:

Oh well. It's their fault when they find two dead snakes a few months or a couple years from now. If they want their animals to be dying slowly and stressed out beyond belief, so be it.

Back