CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Sad Accident. Advice?

Old 01-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #41
Roy Munson
Thanks Mary (vanderkm). I hope you are right, and it's just swelling, or some other temporary condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracee
Your post made me so sad. I would be feeling exactly the same way, but at least you can be comforted in the knowledge Bill's in the best possible hands. How's he looking at the moment, if you can see him?
I'm at work, so I can't see him. I'll be going home soon. It's been almost 48 hours since his feeding and accident, so I may be able to give him a more intensive examination tonight. I'm kind of apprehensive though. Thanks for your concern.

Old 01-09-2006, 06:36 PM   #42
Roy Munson
I started this thread because I was freaking out, and I needed to tell someone who might care about the problem, and I really needed advice. I didn't expect all of these responses. You guys came through in a big way, and I really appreciate it. I do have this in proper perspective-- it's a small snake, not a sick child, or a looming lay-off, or a flooded home. It's a minor thing-- so minor, in fact, that if I lose him it won't even affect my corn breeding plans. But I like Bill, and he's important to me, and you guys understood that, and you honestly made me feel a lot better. Thanks again.

Update:
I took his tub out when I got home tonight. His condition doesn't appear to have changed, except that the lump from his last meal is hardly apparent, so he seems to be digesting. I jiggled the hide he was resting on, to get him to move, and he started crawling around. His eyes are clear, and his pupils contracted when I pointed a flashlight at him, and dilated when I turned it away. There is no bruising, shape deformation of the skull, or sign of spinal kinking. But he's still carrying his head and immediate neck at an angle. It looked to me as if he couldn't move his head to the right, or level it.

I'm still hoping it's some kind of muscle strain, and not vertebral or neurological damage, but it very well could be. Since he seems to be digesting, I'll stick with my original plan, and monitor him until I attempt to feed him in a couple of weeks. I honestly don't expect his condition to deteriorate by then, but the feeding will be the real test of his viability. I doubt I'll know much until then, unless he recovers full movement prior. I'm hoping this is the case...

Old 01-09-2006, 06:59 PM   #43
SnakeAround
If only these guys could talk.... at least you would have known for sure about any pain felt. But, I suppose him moving around and being alert is a very good indicator too! I'll keep my fingers crossed for Bill!

Old 01-09-2006, 07:38 PM   #44
peep_827
I just read this, I'm so sorry to hear of yours and Bill's ordeal . . . And yes, we do understand that while an injured snake isn't the end of the world, it is a big deal in a snake owner's life. But do not beat yourself up over it, it was an accident. These things do happen, and you are doing everything you can for him, that's what is important now.

I have a little story to share too . . . one night I was watching TV and holding Rhiannon, (a decent sized 04 - not a tiny hatchling), and she was in the sleeve of my sweatshirt as far as I knew, but I looked down just in time to see her tail disappear into the corner of my couch. Now, that would be scary enough, but my couch has recliners, and all sorts of metal stuff inside. After the kids and I determined that she could not be found without opening up the couch, we eased open the recliner - only to find she was all twisted around the metal mechanism inside, and if we opened it further she would be pinched in it! OMG!!! I somehow managed to stick my hand in without opening it further and I swear it took me a good 20 minutes to ease her out of there, while holding the footrest as still as possible. That was almost a disaster . . . And to this day my kids tease me about not watching TV and holding a snake! But really, I was totally freaked about it, so I can really understand how you feel.

I'm glad to hear that Bill seems to be doing okay, hopefully with a little TLC he will fully recover. Keep us updated on the lil guy, we're all pulling for him!

Old 01-09-2006, 07:47 PM   #45
ultimuttone
OK, we know you are home now, what's the update?

Old 01-09-2006, 07:53 PM   #46
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimuttone
OK, we know you are home now, what's the update?
Scroll up.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:00 PM   #47
ultimuttone
Thanks, I usually click the unread thread box, and it apparently skipped right over the update.
I am glad he seems to be okay for now. Pretty soon his dilema will be bigger than the Biggest Thread Ever, lol. With all the positive thoughts going his direction, he has to do alright .

Old 01-09-2006, 08:06 PM   #48
CornCrazy
Dean...I was wondering if it might be possible that he has some "dislocated" vertebrae. It may be worth a trip to the vet to get his opinion. Or maybe you could post some pictures here. Some of us may be able to give you a bit more info by looking at some pics.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:41 PM   #49
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornCrazy
Dean...I was wondering if it might be possible that he has some "dislocated" vertebrae. It may be worth a trip to the vet to get his opinion. Or maybe you could post some pictures here. Some of us may be able to give you a bit more info by looking at some pics.
It's definitely possible. Even if the lid pressure didn't do any damage, the thrashing that he did during the event could have done real injury. I don't want to disturb him again tonight. It's only been about 50 hours since he ate a very large pink. I'll take some pics tomorrow, if I can. Then maybe you can help me determine if a vet visit is in order. Thanks Terri.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:50 PM   #50
SSSara
Dean - I'm truly sorry that something like that should happen to someone who obviously loves his snakes so much. I can relate. At the Living Lab (An awesome program we have at my school - volunteers like myself take care of a number of different reptiles after school) we got a semi-adult corn, beautiful snake. I loved him instantly, and because of his red, orange and yellow colours I named him Pyro :P. I set up his tank with care, but unfortunately and to my complete shame, with all the other animals in the Lab that needed taking care of, I forgot to fill his water dish. The next day when I checked up on him, he had died of dehydration. While the teacher co-ordinator of the program assured me that one night without water would not usually kill a snake, and that it must have been without water for a while before he came to our Lab, I was devestated. To think that a careless error on my part took the life of such a beautiful creature made me feel absolutly horrible. It took me a while and many kind words from friends before I was comfortable and confident enough to come back to the Living Lab. Fortunately, that experience taught me to be much more careful, and didn't discourage me from getting a snake of my own. I hope that Bill will recover fully, and that you will be at ease knowing that, as many people have already told you, these things can happen to anyone.
Keep smiling

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google