CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Feeding the Unwilling

Old 09-14-2007, 08:37 PM   #91
nlove_3000
I honestly had SO much success with offering them live. I'm not a fan of live and as soon as they consistently eat I'll switch them over. I know you have more experience than I do so don't take it funny if I suggest anything that you darn well already know...but it made a huge difference when I brought home the "born today" pinkies. I wonder if there's any remote possibility that they were intimidated by the size of the larger pinkies. My first 8 ate when presented with teeny lives (no braining- just poor little pinkies) and then successfully are "normal sized" pinkies the next feeding.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:32 PM   #92
wax32
Yeah, I have gone the live route before. I prefer not to go there but if I do have to, I will. Impossible to get pinkies around here but I'm not above throwing a male and 2 females in a ten gallon tank for a while.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:01 PM   #93
nlove_3000
I've been purchasing the pinkies so far, but 2 weeks ago purchased my first colony of mice. I think what will be nicest about this is that if I keep dealing with problem feeders I can offer live and not have to talk my self into "doing away" with them somehow if they are refused. I can give them a baby powder coating and return them to mom for a little bit. We also threw our male and female rats in together.

We started with 2 corn yearlings....then 3 adults....then a hatchling...and when we decided to bring in these problem feeders it was NO question -- I had to get a colony or go broke feeding them!

Old 09-15-2007, 12:46 AM   #94
Msterry
Well Jaxom i have now experienced at least the tri cut pinkys..as usual i say ewwww but they must eat.
Im so sorry about Beldar. I was in hopes he would make a go of it. If nothing else you have learned from the experience. A hard lesson to be learned tho.

Well at least Zelda's severe strange kink has corrected and i hope she is soon eating on her own. She's a lil miracle.
I sure remember my parents and grandparents telling me to eat my meat and veggies. Not that i lisened. lol I was proably like your hatchlings are gonna be...lol

Yaahhhhh for Moe!! I hope it was the anole and it keeps on working well. Maybe he will get the others to follow suit..Well one can hope anyways...

Old 09-15-2007, 12:49 AM   #95
jaxom1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by wax32
BTW, great thread Jaxom, Cat and Cat's mom!
Thanks. It's all the rest of the members posting that makes it such a worthwhile read. Reading the range of experiences and methods attempted to get hatchlings to eat is educational for all of us. I appreciate every person who is making the attempt and is willing to share their successes (and failures) with the rest of us.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:52 AM   #96
Msterry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley07
How do those of you with many hatchlings in those plastic shoebox style vivs, heat all of the boxes?? The one photo of nlove's babies, I didn't spot a heating system. Do you buy and use those little mini UTH? for each shoebox??
I have the hatchlings out here in there containers in side of a 29 gal tank. I have a 3 light combo on that tank so i just use the red heat bulb...

Old 09-15-2007, 01:53 AM   #97
nlove_3000
Well...I had one more die today... That leaves 20 -- and to boot my healthy hatchling regurged for no apparent reason. So -- a few steps forward and a few steps back. I weighed them all tonight too though and I finally have several breaking the 7 gram high end. 4 of them weighed in at 8 and 9 grams!!

Old 09-15-2007, 02:14 AM   #98
jaxom1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msterry
I have the hatchlings out here in there containers in side of a 29 gal tank. I have a 3 light combo on that tank so i just use the red heat bulb...
I over-wintered my 2006 hatchlings in a similar set-up. I stacked 6-quart Sterilite containers in a 30-gallon long tank with heat cable on only the back glass. It worked great. As it gets colder here, I'll be doing something similar with this years babies.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:17 AM   #99
jaxom1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlove_3000
Well...I had one more die today... That leaves 20 -- and to boot my healthy hatchling regurged for no apparent reason. So -- a few steps forward and a few steps back. I weighed them all tonight too though and I finally have several breaking the 7 gram high end. 4 of them weighed in at 8 and 9 grams!!
You have my condolences. The hardest part of working with non-feeders it accepting that some will not make it. No matter how prepared I think I am for it, it always breaks my heart to lose a baby I worked so hard to save.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:18 AM   #100
jaxom1957
Let me be the one....

to submit post number 100 to the thread! Thank you too all of the members participating and taking this journey with me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google