CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Poopless in Austin.

Old 05-10-2002, 07:58 AM   #1
Shaky
Poopless in Austin.

I have a snake that won't poop. Its been quite a while-probably a month. He is exhibiting breeding-season behaviors, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't poo.
I've tried a couple of warm water soaks to no avail.
Any advice?

Old 05-12-2002, 01:40 AM   #2
lynn
What kind of substrate do you use? It could be that it has got compacted if it has swallowed some, is he still eating as well?

Old 05-12-2002, 08:48 AM   #3
jim
impaction...

if he is still eating well and not voiding he is probably impacted. you can try very light massageto see if there are any hard lumps. if you find any a light massage followed by a warm bath (85-90 degrees fahrenheit) will normally do the trick. if this does not work before trying the vet use an eyedropper and give him mineral oil by mouth (2-3 drops is enough for a small snake) then repeat the above in 2-3 days. good luck, jim

Old 05-12-2002, 08:55 PM   #4
Shaky
Thumbs up advice...

The oil is the same advice that I got from someone else. Tried it today(used Olive oil that I poured on the mouse as it went into the gullet). We'll see.
I was hoping someone would suggest oil, as I was already wondering about it. A vet did that for a dog of ours that had swallowed something bad. Its probably what the vet would do for me now and charge me for it.

Old 05-13-2002, 08:32 AM   #5
LizS
The olive oil might work, but if it doesn't, use mineral oil next time. Mineral oil doesn't get absorbed by the gut like edible oils and goes through the GI tract intact, doing its job of lubricating.

Old 05-14-2002, 08:15 AM   #6
Shaky
Thumbs up Thanks

thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll let you know how everything works out.

Old 05-14-2002, 11:25 AM   #7
LizS
Hope everything comes out alright...

Old 05-14-2002, 12:28 PM   #8
tschofie
Pun intended?

Old 05-14-2002, 01:23 PM   #9
LizS
yup.

Old 05-15-2002, 03:32 AM   #10
Doctor Mike
Best course would be to get to a herp vet pronto for diagnosis and treatment by a pro. Until you can do that, follow these rules.

Recommend you stop feeding to avoid complicating any possible impaction until this case is diagnosed properly. If the pipe is already clogged, don't clog it more.

Go to plain white, no chemical, no scent paper towels so you can carefully observe any regurgitation or excrement. Change daily and observe frequently so you know the date and approximate time of any expulsion.

Hold your snake up to a bright light and look for dark masses that may be impactions. Feel your snake's body gently and carefully for masses.

Hydration is important, so have lots of water present and change it daily. The oil tricks may also help to loosen any impaction.

You say you haven't seen poop for a month--have you still been feeding all that time? If so, either the poop disappeared in the substrate, or your snake may be very seriously impacted.

To all--recommend that you always note at least 1 bowel movement in the days after feeding before you feed anything again. Last out before next in, always.

Keep us posted, and best health to your corn,
Doctor Mike

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google