CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

My 4 month old corn wont kill before he eats?

Old 01-18-2010, 03:20 AM   #11
snakewispera snr
F/T mice are safer....
They carry no parasites to start with, and they won't attack your snake trying to save themselves from death.....
Plus you can have the fun of trying to get the snake to strike feed without hitting your fingers.....
To think it's more natural to feed live is a fallacy........

Old 01-18-2010, 03:21 AM   #12
Teddy Roosevelt
Rarely are wild corn snakes found in PA, as far as I know. A snake and a mouse confined to a couple feet of space in which to play out their predator-prey instincts is no where near what would occur in the wild. Death by constriction is a slow, painful, terrifying process for the mouse, to say nothing of being swallowed alive. It also carries risks of being bit or scratched for the snake, which can be as small a problem as dabbing some neosporin and having it leave a scar to painful and costly infections to instant death, depending on where it is bitten. Choosing to feed live for reasons like 'it looks cool' or 'I want my snake to be a real snake' is unethical and HIGHLY frowned upon in reptile communities that are not comprised entirely of teenage boys who name their snake "Killer" and use it to scare their sister. Live food is acceptable only when the snake refuses anything else, and that's after MANY tricks to get them to eat are exhausted. If it's the show you want, snakes fed f/t their whole lives have been known to enthusiastically attack, constrict, and "kill" frozen mice. If your snake took f/t before, it should take it now, and if it won't there are many tips we as a community can offer you for getting him back on it, but I highly doubt anyone will come in here and give you tips on how to make it perform more for you at meal time.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:30 AM   #13
AWSneer
f/t's it is.

Thanks all.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:32 AM   #14
Teddy Roosevelt
No problem, and please try not to take the above posts as hostility... Feeding live by choice is just a pretty taboo thing in the reptile community. If you need any help convincing your little one to eat frozen (hopefully you won't) practically everyone on this forum has had to deal with a non-feeder at one point or another and everyone has their own "trick" to getting them to eat... I did the zombie mouse dance :P

Old 01-18-2010, 03:43 AM   #15
AWSneer
haha well... I just dont like feeding him the f/t's you get from the stores, I feel that since I feed him mice that I raise myself, I know they are actually fresh mice not something that might have come from some super mouse that was given drugs to produce babies faster and at a higher quantity... you know? (because that is how stuff works now a days)

Old 01-18-2010, 05:19 AM   #16
Iguanagirl8662
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSneer View Post
haha well... I just dont like feeding him the f/t's you get from the stores, I feel that since I feed him mice that I raise myself, I know they are actually fresh mice not something that might have come from some super mouse that was given drugs to produce babies faster and at a higher quantity... you know? (because that is how stuff works now a days)

You could always build a CO2 chamber and raise your own mice then freeze them for future use.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #17
danielle
If you tease feed with tongs corns will attacks and coil for the most part instinctively even though the mouse is dead. Of course its so much easier to just stick the mouse right in, but if you like the attack try tong feeding.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #18
TandJ
Quote:
Rest assured, I have never heard of anyone feeding their mice some super baby producing drug.. Would probably be a lot more than the actual babies are worth..

Pepper gets kudos for this line...

Quote:
A snake and a mouse confined to a couple feet of space in which to play out their predator-prey instincts is no where near what would occur in the wild.
Thats the exact point... These are animals semi confined to smaller place and defiantly are not in the wild..

Of course this didn't help your arguement..

Quote:
Death by constriction is a slow, painful, terrifying process for the mouse,
I don't quite know how long for a mouse, but a well executed constriction/choke hold, will likely put mousey into another realm mighty quick... Its much like the holds used to subdue unruley customers in the bar.. 12 to 15 secs of fame and then they are on the floor with no idea of where they are.. Terrfiying for a few seconds, but I doubt overly painful on a proper constriction..

Dude, theres no reason to feed your snake live if it was already accepting f/t.. Its not in a natural setting so it can't flee when it doesn't wanna fight...

Old 01-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #19
AWSneer
Yea, you guys are right... I guess I should of actually thought about it . You can tell I'm new to snakes and their needs, I'm sorry I sound like such a newbie haha

My plan next saturday is to just kill the mouse and do da cha cha so lil buddy goes for it.

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #20
Teddy Roosevelt
Not at all an issue. I'm sure you'll find people here are more than willing to help you, especially if you're willing to admit a mistake and try what's recommended like you are welcome to the forum.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google