CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

My 4 month old corn wont kill before he eats?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #41
carnivorouszoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSneer View Post
Hello everyone! Sorry for the lack of an intro but i suck at introductions, so I just wont bother.

New to snakes... But my lil buddy has been a champ so far!

Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks,
Andrew

BIG suggestion SWITCH to F/T before the snake gets hurt!

Old 01-21-2010, 07:39 PM   #42
carnivorouszoo
Sorry, when I posted I hadn't seen how many replies this had gotten. Disreguard!

Old 01-22-2010, 01:45 AM   #43
AWSneer
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuk_138 View Post
AWSneer, besides all the stated upsides to feeding f/t, I feel like it also makes the snakes much more handleable. Not a single one of my ten corns looks at my fingers like a snack when I go to pick them up. I know it's cool to watch snakes take down live prey, but the day you find one of your otherwise healthy babies dead with a green stomach (vet determined live mouse was the cause) you'll switch to and swear by f/t mice
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
...wonders why someone would switch a snake from f/t to live KNOWING the possible risks of injury, parasites and cruelty to the mouse......

UNLESS of course the snakes welfare is less important than the puedo-sexual thrill of watching a terrified little animal get its life slowly snuffed out.....

I loathe people who CHOOSE to feed live...
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorouszoo View Post
BIG suggestion SWITCH to F/T before the snake gets hurt!
You 3 need to calm down and read all the posts lol...

Old 01-22-2010, 05:32 AM   #44
DarkSmoke
yes man , i forgot to mention that if you feed live prey you will suffer like me, every time i handle my ball python she tries to eat my finger! ( <-- Sarcasm) LoL. the only time my snake bited was when i first got her home and my girlfriend was taking photos of her. my Cornsnake never attacked.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:36 AM   #45
DarkSmoke
and yeah , as someone earlier said you will get sexual pleasure from watching your snake eating a mouse! so beware. (what more do people got to invent to ban people who love to feed live prey from society?! )

but yeah i agree on something tough, you have 3 positive things with F/T. you don't need to worry of buying food since you can store many in your freezer. you don't have the risk of scars on your snake. and during regurgs you can make some slits in the back of the mouse to help digestion and also cut the mouse in pieces if you can't feed a whole pinky.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #46
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSmoke View Post
and yeah , as someone earlier said you will get sexual pleasure from watching your snake eating a mouse! so beware. (what more do people got to invent to ban people who love to feed live prey from society?! )

but yeah i agree on something tough, you have 3 positive things with F/T. you don't need to worry of buying food since you can store many in your freezer. you don't have the risk of scars on your snake. and during regurgs you can make some slits in the back of the mouse to help digestion and also cut the mouse in pieces if you can't feed a whole pinky.
To AWSneer, I DID read all the posts, every single one.

And to this "person'....some sick twisted people do derive a psycho-sexual thrill (you do know what that means, right?) from feeding live prey.

There is no "ban" on people who love to feed live prey....I just detest ANYBODY who loves to do something that is not in the best interests of the snake AND the mouse.
Live feeding (not because you HAVE to, but because you WANT to) makes you a crappy keeper and a cruel person. I have no use for either......

Old 01-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #47
DarkSmoke
yeah i know what it means but you can't just put everyone who live feeding live in that psycho catagory.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #48
AWSneer
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
To AWSneer, I DID read all the posts, every single one.

And to this "person'....some sick twisted people do derive a psycho-sexual thrill (you do know what that means, right?) from feeding live prey.

There is no "ban" on people who love to feed live prey....I just detest ANYBODY who loves to do something that is not in the best interests of the snake AND the mouse.
Live feeding (not because you HAVE to, but because you WANT to) makes you a crappy keeper and a cruel person. I have no use for either......
MMk.. well if you did in fact read all the posts, you would have seen at least 2 times that I indicated that I WAS NOT going to feed live. I am simply going to kill the mice before feeding them, then I will order some frozen mice. So again, quit freaking out about a problem that has already been solved and just because you get off on watching snakes eat mice live, doesnt mean other people do. You can take those accusations somewhere else.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #49
AWSneer
See DarkSmoke's user title k thanks

Old 01-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #50
Nroc
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSmoke View Post
and during regurgs you can make some slits in the back of the mouse to help digestion and also cut the mouse in pieces if you can't feed a whole pinky.
You don't have to wait for a regurge. In fact, a study was performed by someone, and linked here in some thread. It showed that making the perforations in the mouse caused snakes to grow faster. The experiment showed a graph of variosu growth rates for various types of cuts. Some snakes got mice with 4 slits along the back, some got 2 slits, and some got 2 slits, and other types of holes. The control group ate mice without any holes added.

The results showed that all the snakes who ate mice with holes added grew faster. The ones with 4 slits grew the fastest.

So don't wait for a regurge to slit your mice; do it for all feedings.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google