CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

trying aspen

Old 08-22-2002, 04:55 AM   #1
bmm
trying aspen

Well I use paper towels/newspaper substrate because it's so so so easy to keep things 100% clean fast and easy.

But everyone is always saying how wonderful aspen is so I bought a bag and I am trying it out on two of my corns.

I don't have any thoughts yet as neither have pooped but I can't say I am looking forward to it. I haven't used wood before so I can't say from experience but I am afriad it will be awfully difficult and inconvenient to find and clean poop in the aspen.

I understand how the aspen can/could absorb the pee/poop when the snake actually goes on it, but my snakes have already pushed it around, made open areas, and travel under it. So I would assume they will also be pooping under it, or in clear spots in which case instead of cleaning poop of newspaper, or aspen chips, I'll be scraping it straight off the tanks/rubbermaids. this sounds time consuming and difficult to me.

Any thoughts?

I also will be just "waiting to see" for myself

bmm

Old 08-22-2002, 05:31 AM   #2
Axe
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you right now.

Just got my first corns, so not tried any substrates for 'em til I setup the tank on Sunday night.

I had similar thoughts as you with regard to aspen shavings as a substrate, so I compromised, heh. We had the aspen laying around anyway for the hamsters, so that was no biggy.

But, we were near the end of the bag anyway so I laid paper towels on the bottom of the whole tank, and put the wood shavings just covering half of that, about an inch or so deep.

So, I'm waiting to see, just like you

Old 08-22-2002, 05:44 AM   #3
bmm
yeah

Putting something down first will be a better idea, these aren't my first corns but congrats on yours.

I have nine snakes, all of which use paper towel until now since I gave the two males I have aspen. Hpoefully it works.

If you only have two corns, and those are your only snakes then if I was you I wouldnt worry about it. My main concern is a fast clean up time because not only do I have nine snakes, I have about 30 other animals to care for!

well hopefully it works for both of us!

bmm

Old 08-22-2002, 05:59 AM   #4
Iris
First I used plain paper towels.
The snake got underneath them and pooped on the glass of the tank itself

Next I used shredded paper towels
I had to shuffle around to find the poop and usually it was stuck to the glass bottom.

Next I used aspen. I could never find the poop (It's spread about 1" deep) and it was usually stuck to the glass bottom

Then I tried a layer of paper towels with the aspen on top.
He got underneath anyway and still pooped on the glass

Now I use aspen and give him baths or something to make him poop outside the tank. My babies are on paper towels though.

Old 08-22-2002, 06:54 AM   #5
Axe
Lol Iris... thanks for that. Can't beat waking up to a good giggle

Quick cleanup was also one of my thoughts... as well as the reptiles in my sig we've got half a dozen hamster cages (totalling about a dozen russian dwarf hamsters right now cuz we just sold a bunch), rabbit, 4 very messy budgies, and a love bird.

Feeding and cleaning up all those guys takes up most of the day, lol.

Old 08-22-2002, 05:15 PM   #6
kenalotia
I use aspen too. I normally take Frank out of his tank and put him in the bath to poop. Every once in awhile, he'll poop in the tank anyway - and always right on the surface. And yes, before you ask, I do sift around through the aspen to check. I guess he just likes going on top better. Lucky me!

Old 08-22-2002, 07:20 PM   #7
bmm
i wish

If only I could take all my reptiles to poop out of cage! *LOL* I'd be giving a bath to someone every ten minutes. lol.

bmm

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google