• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New motor for my vette...

Well the engine is back together and back in the car. The guy doing the tuning wasn't available this week, so that will resume next week. Unless something else goes wrong, there is an outside chance that this might be done then. But I've learned not to hold my breath waiting for that to happen. Getting REAL close to the 18 month mark since I first took it into the original shop.

I just read my last post in this thread and chuckled. Sort of a gallows humor chuckled, however.

My car STILL isn't running. The latest thing is that three PCMs (the computer in the car) got blown in a row, and the fuel pump died. There has been one thing after another.

Oh yeah, and my newest computer has been back at the manufacturer's for three months now.

If I get all short of patience and crotchety around here, please bear with me. I'm about ready to pop a cork.

Dear God man ! They could have built a whole car out of some block and roll steel by now.....

Yeah..... I wanted to throw in the towel several times, but surprisingly enough Connie wants me to keep it, regardless. Been so many times that I thought "the car should be done next week" that it is ridiculous.

Recently had to replace the throttle body and the throttle actuator module, because of odd error codes and then blowing three computers in the car. They had to start from scratch as they were afraid that there was something corrupted in the tune possibly blowing those computers. The tuner's shop got hit by lightning and took out ALL of his electronics at one point.

The latest thing is that they weren't sure about the size of the injectors so they tracked down the manufacturer and come to find out that there is a good chance that the original guy working on my car (Chris Harwood) likely mixed up two sets of different flow rated injectors and a mixed set is in my car. So the injectors are on the way back to the manufacturer for flow testing.

It's now been 22 months since I took the car into the original shop.

Lord only knows what this is all going to cost me when the dust settles. The guy says he will be kind to me, but he's put in a LOT of hours into this. Quite honestly, if the bill is too much I may have to just hand him the title and walk away from it.

I am so angry about this that I can't allow myself to show it or it will carry me right into the loony bin when I can't stop screaming.

Rich....

Your comment about handing him the title crossed my mind too. I know you're too shrewed a businessman to even hint at that to him.

Here's to hoping he does do right by you and gets this rocket flying. <G>

Well, the guy working on my car says the tuner will be back up next week and they are GOING to get the car done no matter what it takes. I think he's almost as tired of the BS as I am. They just have a stumble in mid rpm range while driving the car to iron out, and they think they have a handle on that problem.

So as long as something new doesn't show up, MAYBE it will actually be coming home. But I'm not going to clean out the empty bay in the garage quite yet. Darn space is like an old freezer that is not frost free. The crap just builds up there gradually until next thing you know it's a major chore to clean it up.

I just wish I could get this headache behind me. Been like a painful open sore that just won't heal.

Well, I got word yesterday that my car is finished. Two years after I took it into the original shop to have the work done on it.

Not that I have much hope that it will be problem free, of course. Been way too long of a rocky road for that to happen. I'm sure I'll be on pins and needles the entire way home waiting for yet something else to break or just go wrong.

Anyway, the guy says I should be able to drive it home at the end of this week. He needs to do some cleanup on it first. Yeah, no doubt. Last time I saw the car there were spider webs inside.

I have NO idea what his bill is going to be for the work he did, but I am seriously concerned about it. It's entirely possible that I might just have to hand him the title to the car and walk away from it. He says he will be kind to me, but he put a LOT of time and effort into that thing.

Certainly this wasn't one of the better ideas I have ever had.... :headbang:

We all keep 'living and learning', no matter how old we are Rich. <G>

Best of luck....on the bill and a low problem ride. Hell, just based on karma you've had 2 years of 'bad' with it. Time for the 'good'. ;)

Well, not quite this week, it appears.

The AC compressor is dead from laying around all this time. The original guy who worked on my car just had it laying around on the floor, so apparently moisture got into it and killed it.

Then some mounting bolts and washers were missing for my front sway bar, so the new guy working on it is going to fabricate what he needs. And he's not sure that my 160 degree thermostat is in this new engine, so he's going to check on that for me. He detailed the car and buffed out all the swirl marks from the first guy putting scratches in the paint finish and then having a body shop try to get them out.

I'm just waiting for the meteor to hit my car dead center in the next few days.... :bang:

And not THIS week, neither.... Got an intermittent CHECK ENGINE light blinking that the guy is trying to track down...

Maybe by Christmas?

Well, after just shy of 25 MONTHS, my blue 2002 vette finally came home today. Still some issues with it, but hopefully they can be ironed out eventually...

Here's the dyno sheet showing the power curve..

dyno%20sheet%20C5Z%20SGC.jpg

Glad to hear you finally got her home Rich. Hope she pays you back with some decent rides. <G>

Yeah, there are still some minor issues left. Got a stumble between 1400 and 2000 rpm. That lighter drivetrain is going to take some getting used to since the clutch doesn't engage like anything else I have ever driven. Plus the clutch chatters, but that might just be from me not engaging it correctly. And there are some clanks and clicks coming from somewhere. Could be something loose, or perhaps all the stiffer and hardened drive train and suspension parts are just going to be noisier than I would like.

Planning to put the car up on my lift and look it over to see if I can see anything obvious.

And I have the CHECK ENGINE light glaring at me, so I need to hook up the laptop and check the error codes to see what is up with that.

Oh yeah, and my gas gauge died half way home. It's one of the FEW things that hasn't been replaced recently... Hopefully it's just a loose wire somewhere.

I haven't done any hot dogging with it yet, but you can feel the beast in there wanting to be released.

But damn that car is loud. I had forgotten about that. Those turbos take the place of the mufflers, so the exhaust is pretty much unmuffled. Everyone says it sounds REALLY GOOD, but being two years older since I drove it last, I'm not sure how much it's going to be wearing on my nerves.

Oh yeah, and surprisingly enough, my heart survived seeing that bill for being in the shop with that guy for the past 14 months. That sure take a big hit to the retirement account.......

Back