• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Kastanie/Mahogany/Golden/Rosy/Bell's Sunrise/Copper Cornundrum

You might want to rethink this statement. Heterozygous Sickle Cell Anemia is advantageous, where Homozygous is not.

Terri

It might be advantageous, but you can't see it (phenotype) You need special tests to tell if someone is a carrier. I think the statement was that you won't "see" if a recessive het is involved because you would need to be homo not het for the recessive to show visually. If it shows as a het then it is dominant.

You don't need to do blood tests to "see" the effects of being Heterozygous for the Sickle cell gene. The rules apply for things we can see with the naked eye and those we can not. The genetics we commonly look at in the hobby are externally visual ones, eye color, skin pattern, pigmentation, etc.. That does not mean that all the traits we are not looking for don't exist. We just don't care about them unless they affect the visual morph of the animal.
Anyone who breeds corns, or other snakes, long enough can tell you that they can pick out animals Het for certain genes.
Terri

Updates?

Bringing this thread back to life... any updates on the Copper/Kastanie/Mahogany/Sunrise debate?

We're working on Golden, but haven't paired it with any of these yet (that I know of) - Joe Pierce seems to be getting out of the Golden project; myself and Laura Samson (WindSerpents) are still trying to get the project moving. Just mentioning that since Golden was mentioned in the original post. We'll have to wait for those test breedings.

"Orange thing"?

Also, I remember that Steve's "Orange things" from 2014 might be in the mix, also? Possibly allelic to / the same as Kastanie? Anything been proven there?

Mahogany though?

I'm really curious if anyone knows where Mahogany fits in to all this...?

Copper=Kastanie. So basically copper doesn't exist (except maybe some line bred coppers).

Sunrise is different but allelic to kastanie (right?).

'Orange thing' we're still waiting on answers for (Anything yet, Steve?? on the edge of my seat!).

Java is at least allelic to kastanie according to Don's site, but it's still unknown if it's different from Kastanie or not.

I can only imagine how confusing all the hypo-types were when those were all being tested originally... this is almost giving me a headache :blowhead: :laugh:

I have a feeling that many of these are the same gene, just different phenotypes, the same way a candycane and a sunglow are both still amels.

Because having 6 allelic genes at one locus is rather difficult to believe considering currently the other allelics have... 2?

I have a feeling that many of these are the same gene, just different phenotypes, the same way a candycane and a sunglow are both still amels.

Because having 6 allelic genes at one locus is rather difficult to believe considering currently the other allelics have... 2?

Well, hypo has 3 (hypo-a, strawberry, christmas) - but I agree with you, it's hard to believe that all these would be completely different. Sunrise & Kastanie are different. and I think copper has been proven to just be kastanie. But "orange thing" and mahogany and java...? just Kastanie? or different? no idea. Don S. just had a breeding from 2 Kastanie+Java mixes to see if 2 distinct phenotypes result. hoping he posts his findings.

Steve, any results on your breeding yet?

AFAIK Kastanie x Java is already done. The pics I've seen showed some hatchlings which looked identical to ordinary Kastanie hatchlings.

Hate to bring up this old thread again buttt....

There's been a few more questions popping up here and there about where each of these lines fit in.
We've pretty much determined that Java and Copper are the same gene as Kastanie, just different lines... right?
But is Mahogany different?
What about OrangeThing?
Any new insight would be great!
I was told today that "Mahogany is the american version of kastanie" and had to laugh... that's what brought me back to this thread to get updates! lol!

Back