CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Super Tessera

Old 06-10-2019, 03:01 PM   #21
MysticExotics
Resurrecting the original thread on Super Tessera's.
I started a Tessera x Tessera project in 2015, and have been test breeding my holdbacks. This is my 3rd Tessera from that clutch being tested, and I believe he is a Super.
I paired him with my LBR Miami female, and so far, all of the babies are Tessera's. Eight babies have pipped (all Tessera's), and I'm waiting on the last two to pip.

A few years ago a couple of us started looking into possible markers for Super Tessera's, and didn't see any obvious ones. I was pretty sure there were known Supers that didn't have perfect/near perfect dorsal stripes, but now I'm only seeing perfect/near perfect stripes on the known Supers.
I will be breeding my male to a different female next year to make sure he's producing 100% Tessera's.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #22
67temp
Congrats!

Old 06-10-2019, 08:12 PM   #23
MysticExotics
Thank you!! All 10 babies in this clutch are Tessera's.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:06 PM   #24
67temp
Stupid question but is the super tessera passed down to the babies or are they just normal tesseras?

Old 06-10-2019, 09:30 PM   #25
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
Stupid question but is the super tessera passed down to the babies or are they just normal tesseras?
No, the babies from a Super Tessera are regular Tessera's (visual het).

Old 06-11-2019, 04:25 AM   #26
pitzMike
Isn't it an "Incomplete Dominant" if something has a super form? I'm slightly confused why the term co-dominant is used to identify these mutations. Anyone care to explain?

Old 06-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #27
Shiari
Super in this case only refers to the fact that the snake has 2 copies of the gene. Tessera is just plain dominant.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:59 PM   #28
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitzMike View Post
Isn't it an "Incomplete Dominant" if something has a super form? I'm slightly confused why the term co-dominant is used to identify these mutations. Anyone care to explain?
Here's the thing. There aren't any known markers on the Homo Tessera's, it's a dominant gene, so "Super" is not the appropriate term, but this is what everyone has called them since it was discovered.

It's one of the things I was hoping to figure out with my Tessera X Tessera project. (Possibly finding a marker on the HD Tessera's.)

I started calling them HD (homo dominant) due to the absence of known markers for the "Super" form, but to most people, they call them Supers. Apparently a lot of people are opposed to calling them "Homo Tessera's". LOL

HERE is a thread where Amanda (Tavia) discovered her Tessera was HD/Super in 2015. Unfortunately, the picture site started charging money, and the photos are not visible anymore.

I will be doing more with this, in hopes of figuring out more.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google