CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

My first 'kiss off' experience!

Old 01-26-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
JustineNYC
My first 'kiss off' experience!

I have an 05 snow that I got on here from Michelle and she is really really tame, one of the reasons I actually got her. She settled in great, she eats great and Ive handled her many times with no problem. She even let me photograph her. And now shes been with me a few months.

Anyway I just fed her, I feed her in a 10 gallon tank and when she is done because the tank is too big to lift for me to let her crawl out herself, I gently lift her up and place her back in her viv.

I did that tonight and when I lifted her, I saw something coming out of her cloaca....It was like brown, couldve been poop......so I set her down gently in her viv and go to take hold of her tail so I can lift it and get a better look at whatever it is.........well, the moment I touch her tail she flinches like mad, whipping her tail away from me and then I hear this loud vibrating noise.

bbbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rr

What the heck is that noise?

Of course........it was her tail. Extremely fascinating because Ive never seen this.

Now...
Ive....never been bit.

Ive never dealt with aggression.

Ive never p*ssed off a snake.

Ive never dealt with adults.

And I touch my other corns tails all the time.

What did I do wrong? Was it the tail touching, was it the fact that shed just eaten and the next time i go to handle her, what kind of reaction am I going to be met with?

Old 01-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
stephen
LOL

You probably just startled her,she wasnt expecting it kinda deal,after she digests take her out and hold her some and let her get used to you touching her

Old 01-26-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
alan
I got a tail shake from my Cheerio once, similar conditions. The only times she reacts oddly to being touched or moved is during or right after feeding.
I feed her in her viv. That time I was cleaning things a bit while she was finishing her "swallow". When she was done I wanted to put a hide back in place where she was laying. I gently nudged her and when I did she moved across the viv and I heard the "buzz".
This snake has never bitten me, and nervous moves are just not her thing. I think it was a scare tactic.
When I remove rat snakes from the buildings at work they always squirt a bit. I don't know if it is a defense or a nervous move, but I do know it kind of stinks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google