CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

New snake worries

Old 07-05-2015, 10:20 PM   #1
ltsweety2
New snake worries

I have a new baby corn snake. I had another one but it was sick and im a new snake owner so i didn't know the signs and it passed away

So now we have a new one not sure how old...

But anyway she is very timid ...
But we have only had her since last Monday
Well today she snapped at my youngest his first time trying to pick her up... Now my issue is first one wasn't aggressive at all and im not sure if thats cuz she was sick or it was just her..
Ive watched 100 you tube videos most of them are breeders i need advice from pet owners on how to hold handle and get her use to us i have a 7 and a 10 year old we are all getting use to snakes and want to do better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-05-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
Fauna
Don't rush her. She's still settling in and she's trying to figure it out. Make sure she has plenty of hiding spot. What are the temps in her tank? She needs a warm and a cool side.

x- Misty

Old 07-05-2015, 10:27 PM   #3
ltsweety2
Warm side is 85-90 i have a heating pad under the tank that i don't have control over but to seems to keep the warm side warm. And its a lot of bedding so she goes under the beeding mostly

Old 07-05-2015, 10:32 PM   #4
Fauna
I would drop the cool side to about 82 to help her thermoregulate. You should also invest in some hides, a wood tunnel hide from a pet store, a toilet paper role/napkin roll, and some hanging plants and longs for her to crawl on/in and investigate. Her home should be a fun place AND her "safe" place. Don't rush her too much, as I said she's just settling in to her new home.

x- Misty

Old 07-05-2015, 10:35 PM   #5
Fauna
Some handling tips I can give are:
don't go at her from above, that will only scare her. Let her see your hand and know it's there, tap on her gently and then lift her up, the initial lift may freak her out, but she should calm down after. If she gets in striking position back off for a little while. Give her space.

As a snake owner you will more than likely get bit at least once.

x- Misty

Old 07-05-2015, 10:37 PM   #6
ltsweety2

This is her space we are still adding to it...
And thanks

Old 07-05-2015, 10:40 PM   #7
Fauna
Looking good! That basking light may be making her nervous if she's never had one before. Just watch her closely and if you think she needs to see the vet, take her. Better safe than sorry.

x- Misty

Old 07-05-2015, 10:40 PM   #8
ltsweety2
Thanks i think my son was just use to picking up our old snake who was calm so he keep chasing her as she ran away. But thats how i handle and pick her up. But she still only a week here so that may b it also. The pet store i got her from said she may b snappy

Old 07-05-2015, 10:41 PM   #9
ltsweety2
Thank n no at the pet store i dont think they do but was told thats a good night light

Old 07-05-2015, 10:43 PM   #10
Fauna
As she gets used to things she may calm down, but every snake is different. Just remember to watch your kids carefully and make sure your all happy and safe. I personally don't use a basking/night light for my corns because it makes the tank dry and can cause bad sheds, but I've heard of many people using them.

x- Misty

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google