CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

How To Pack Snakes For Shipping

Old 09-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #11
Nanci
Tape the lid shut. Do not tape over the air holes! FedEx requires this step and if you forget it when you send in your test package it will fail.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #12
Nanci
I virtually always use gel packs with every shipment, no matter the temps. I have huge three pound packs for very cold and hot weather. I can use them frozen, room temp, or refrigerated. I also have a medium size for milder weather conditions. The gel packs act as a heat sink and stabilize the temp in the box, keeping it from rapid temp changes, holding your heating or cooling for a longer time.

Frozen packs, except the huge ones, only stay frozen for a few hours, but that gets your shipment out of the hot afternoon drop off period and into the cooler evening in Memphis. After thawing, they still stabilize the temps.

I like to put them in ziplocks just in case they leak. If room temp or cooled, that is enough. If frozen, I wrap them in newspaper. I do not place a snake directly on a frozen gel pack!

Old 09-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #13
Nanci
When using heavier gel packs, I like to tape them to the bottom styrofoam while it is still out of the box, in case the box is flipped upside down.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #14
Nanci
I finally figured out a nice way to store packing peanuts! I keep several bags of these around. I've never had to buy them; I apparently buy enough stuff and have it shipped to have a huge supply!

Old 09-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #15
Nanci
Place a single layer of the peanuts in the box, and arrange the bag comfortably on top of them.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #16
Nanci
Then fill in lots more peanuts around the bag. Your goal is that the bag is cushioned firmly and will not move if the box is shaken. When you close it up, test it with a light shake and make sure your snake isn't banging around in the box.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #17
Nanci
Depending on how many deli cups you have, you may have a single layer or a stack of two or three.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #18
Nanci
Pack peanuts tightly around the delis. Now your hatchlings have a double layer of cushioning. Again, when you shake the box, you don't want to feel any movement whatsoever.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #19
Nanci
Place the styrofoam cover on top, and put your invoice directly on top of that. The invoice/packing slip should be the first thing visible when the box is opened. It is required to have the name and address and phone numbers of the shipper and receiver, the scientific and common names of the contents.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #20
Nanci
The documents that go in the air bill envelope on the top of the box are the FedEx shipping label and a copy of the invoice. I like to highlight the receiver's phone number in the top left (covered, here) and add a note, highlighted, in the lower left corner with an emergency phone number, mine.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google