CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

"Healthy" seed mix?

Old 01-06-2006, 10:20 PM   #1
Bobo's Mama
"Healthy" seed mix?

I'm wondering if any of you guys out there who breed mice and rats think that any kind of seed mix (non lab block) is healthy? I'm trying to give them some variety. I am just feeding Mazuri blocks right now, but for awhile I had some leftover seed mix from before I switched and had both options. They seemed to eat both. I'm just wondering if there is a brand preference. Most of the seed mixes seem so full of corn, which I know isn't the greatest. Any ideas?

Old 01-06-2006, 10:27 PM   #2
Baba-Lou
I'm personally using two different brands and some added dog food as a treat intomy mixture. Seems to be woring great for me. I mean I'm gettinga lot of babies outof it. But I don't have a preference. But thats just me.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:29 PM   #3
Quigs
The problem with seed mixes is the fat content. Most rodents will choose those seeds with the highest fat content (such as sunflower seeds) first and often waste the rest.

As a treat, I don't see it being a problem but I would highly recommend against it as a staple.

Mazuri is a complete diet however, and does not need to be supplemented with anything.

I solely feed my rodent Mazuri 5M30 and have done so for several years now with excellent results.

Q

Old 01-06-2006, 10:32 PM   #4
marky-b
I use homing pigeon mix, which has 3 different kinds of peas; wheat; milo; tiny popping corn, and those tiny wild bird seeds that I have no idea what it is.

I used to use chicken scratch, which is mostly cracked corn, milo, but no peas.

Never use dog food that's colored red. Supposedly the red dye is not good for herp kidneys, and dog kidneys.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:35 PM   #5
marky-b
....and the mice seem to like wild bird mix, but I add a little bit of dog food.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:17 PM   #6
Taceas
Like Quigs, I just feed Mazuri lab block as a primary diet and give weekly treats of a seed mix after their weekly cleaning.

Every seed mix marketed for rodents was a waste of money imho. 90% of the stuff they don't eat and just end up urinating on it.

I just mix together chicken scratch grains (wheat, milo, cracked corn), brown rice, barley, rolled oats, flax seed, hemp seed, and a smidgeon of no-mess wild birdseed. Toss it with some peanut oil so it coats everything and give them some every week.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:44 AM   #7
Gintha
I posted the recipe I use for my breeder mice in this section, its "seed" based and is a complete diet. Its basically the same ingredients as the upper end bloc diets just not processed. For Snowflake, my pet mouse, I've been using Hagen living world mouse seed mix. Shes at a great weight and very healthy on it. (its too hard to make my recipe for only one mouse, and my freezer space where extra would go is full of..well.. more mice)

Mouse Food

Thats the stuff Snowflake eats, its a great mix and doesn't have a lot of sunflower seeds in it, mostly millet, and she loves it.

I've never fed my mice dog food before, so I don't have an opinion on that. I have given them a couple meal worms as treats tho, they just love them!

Old 01-08-2006, 10:54 AM   #8
Ryan Harvey
I also use a homing pigeon mix... Along with some regular bird seed, small budgie seeds, and some dog food...this works very well for me!

Ryan

Old 01-08-2006, 01:01 PM   #9
marky-b
And for the nursing mice, I like to give them pieces of cheeseballs. Their babies get nice and big with that little bit of dairy product.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:37 PM   #10
loganator33
yah thatsa real good idea

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google