CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Feeding and shedding, is there a link?

Old 01-16-2008, 08:37 AM   #1
Mr.AJ
Feeding and shedding, is there a link?

Just wondering if anyone had noticed a link between feeding and shedding? Chompys had his second shed with me last night, Which was also feeding night. As soon as he came out of his tub he was up against the glass and his hides rubbing away at his nose.

This triggered my memory and it was the same last time he shed, He was fed and an hour or two later he started to shed.

(On a side note, this shed looks to of been complete i cant find any holes or patches in it anywhere, not picked him up to give him a good look over yet because hes got quite a large bump and was quite fiesty so didnt want to upset him picking him out! But if it is i shall be very happy, his other one was patchy and came off in 2 or 3 pieces. )

Old 01-16-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
Jcapicy
Generally a snake will shed to repair skin or grow, if you snake is young and eating well than it wouldn't be surprising to have it shed that rapidly.

how long was it between feedings?

pics????????

Old 01-16-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
Stregone
I've read here that eating can sometimes help kick off shedding because it stretches out the almost ready to shed skin and loosens it up the rest of the way.

Makes sense to me. I usualy wait untill my snake sheds before feeding. She is so panic-y up untill then.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
TWGarland
are you talking about feeding during the late stages of a shed?

I have once before, fed my snake after it had completed the blue stage and had cleared up, ready to shed.

My snake did the same as yours i think, and shed shortly after being fed.

To be honest i haven't done this again. I came to the conclusion that a snake may feel more vulnerable this close to shed and once it had been returned to its viv, decided to get a move on with getting the skin off, just in case the big limbed hairy thing disturbs again Thats just what i thought though

Tom

Old 01-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
Mr.AJ
Yeah, his shedding is perfectly on schedule (Exactly 3 weeks to the day.) Just struck me that both times he shed less than 6hours after being fed.

I guess it would make sense that the feeding stretches the skin and thus helps speed up the process.

Both times i've fed him once while he was in blue, and both times he's eaten the pinkie no problem exactly the same as when he eats normally. Then i've offered him a meal on his next scheduled feeding day (5days later.) I keep handling to a minimum after hes eaten (And by minimum, i mean 0. He gets put in his tub. Fed, then the tub is left in the viv for him to crawl out and go to a hide of his choice when he feels like it. He's then not touched again for atleast 3days, or until the bump goes down.)

jcapicy-
Not sure of his exact age (Pet shop purchase, and they didnt have many records.) hes fed every 5days, he's been on double pinks for the last few feedings . Not got a tape measure to hand, but ive snapped a quick photo of his shed next to a 20pack to give you a bit of an idea of his size (Although obviously id expect the shed to be a bit longer than he is.) Hes only a wee'un at the moment but hes growing quite well for the 2months ive had him!.

and this is him peering out at me this morning when i had to lift up his log to pull his shed out (He didn't actually shed the first time he was rubbing, he gave up after 5minutes and went under his log. The shed was sitting half under the log this morning when i woke up)

Old 01-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
Wylie
Aw, I like Chompy, cute, and I like his colors & pattern.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
Mr.AJ
Thanks He's slowly getting brighter from the head down with every shed. Quite cool to watch im going to have to try and get a photo of each stage.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
alan
I tried to feed my corn once when she was starting blue. She was not blue in the AM, I brought a mouse home in the afternoon and she was hazy but I tried it anyway. She followed but did not strike. After that she did not eat for 3 weeks, I think it stressed her. This was the only time we ever had a feeding problem.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #9
jamay
I've noticed the same thing, Mr. AJ, without having realized they were even getting ready to shed. I guess it could be coincidence that we are feeding them in the clear phase, and also, as Stregone mentioned, the stretching helps to loosen the skin.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google