CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Everyone, meet FLASH, LOL...

Old 01-23-2008, 11:14 PM   #1
Wylie
Everyone, meet FLASH, LOL...

WOW, what a difference! I just got my new snake today from SMR to replace my Wylie who died last Wed and WOW, this one is MUCH more energetic!!

First off, when I opened the box, and took out the plastic container he was in, he was trying his darndest to push that lid off with his nose, then when I lowered the container down into the tank and pulled the lid off, he slithered quite quickly right into the cave hide. Now this is in STARK CONTRAST to Wylie's behavior when I first got him. When I got him, he stayed curled up on the bottom of the plastic container and I actually scooped him out, then put him in his tank. From the getgo he was never very active and even when he did move, it was NEVER fast. When I handled him he would mostly hang out on me and only move around for about 30 sec at a time then would rest on me for another 5 min. I haven't handled this one yet (cause I'm trying to do everything exactly right and not handling him for several days til I go to feed him) but I have a feeling that I'm gonna have a difficult time even doing so, I have a feeling he's gonna be trying to get away or at least be moving around so fast that I'll be afraid of him getting away! Also, this one HIDES, REALLY well. Wylie never really hid, I could always see him, some part of his body was almost always visible. And Wylie NEVER went under the paper towels. Well... not too long after I put this one in the tank, I couldn't find him for nothing! I looked in all the hides (from outside the tank) and couldn't see him. Well finally, about an hour ago, my husband found him, said he was partly under the paper towels, so apparently he had gone in between the layers of paper towels, hehe, that little stinker! After my husband spotted him, then he got very active and was ALL OVER THE TANK exploring, mainly trying to find a way out, LOL. I watched him the whole time, he spent about 30 min exploring the tank trying to find a way out before he once again retreated to hiding in between the paper towel layers. And MY GOSH is he freaken FAST!!! Such a stark contrast from Wylie's slow movements (including his digestion)! Anyway, I really enjoyed watching him, and he didn't seem to mind when three of us where standing there watching him, hehe. So I'm happy, even though he seems to be the opposite of Wylie so far, he makes me laugh, the name "Wylie" would have been so much more fitting for him instead of the first snake, LOL! He's so energetic and quick. I'm still coming up with possible names for him, ones to fit his personality, but I think I'll wait til I handle him on Sunday for his feeding before I make a final decision. Flash DOES come to mind, LOL. Rascal comes to mind too, among others, ha ha.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the good news! I have a good feeling about this one!

Old 01-23-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
Mr.AJ
Thats great, hope you have better luck with this little guy!

Don't forget photos once hes settled in.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:38 PM   #3
Rich in KY
Congrats!

I am sure you will have much better luck with this one.

I second the request for pics!

Old 01-24-2008, 12:17 AM   #4
Wylie
Pics... definitely!

This little guy is CRAZY!! He's somehow managed to knock leaves off the fake tree and he knocked over the little dixie cup I had in there for a hide, LMAO!!! He's apparently still bound and determined to get out of that tank!

Sooo... how long do they (hatchlings) do this before they realize their efforts are futile and calm down? I mean dang, he presses and grinds his little nose hard against the glass! This one sure is wirey! I bet he's gonna be a really good eater too, I bet he'll be on the pinkie and have it down way quicker than Wylie did. He just seems pretty fiesty to me. Fiesty is okay, I just hope he's not aggressive towards me. He didn't show any aggression at all when I looked at him in his plastic container. Wylie actually did at first but then after that he didn't seem to mind anything.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:23 AM   #5
Rich in KY
He should calm down soon. But he will probably always look for a way out. That's what they do.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:58 AM   #6
Wylie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in KY View Post
He should calm down soon. But he will probably always look for a way out. That's what they do.
Even when they're big adults?

Old 01-24-2008, 01:08 AM   #7
Rich in KY
Yep. You will find that much of the time your snake is out moving around, it will be checking to make sure that you secured its viv

Old 01-24-2008, 01:21 AM   #8
ratsncorns
Congrats on the new, more energetic corn! Sounds like he is a fiesty little guy. I bet he will thrive in your care

Old 01-24-2008, 03:29 AM   #9
diamondlil
He sounds lovely!

Old 01-24-2008, 09:09 AM   #10
MerlinsPop
Nice!

Yeah, they'll always check for lapses in your security, but the duration of the initial determined effort depends on your snake. Could be just a few days.... could be weeks.

Enjoy the new little one and best of fortune with him!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google