CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Time for bigger mice?

Old 05-31-2016, 04:44 PM   #1
RubyRu
Time for bigger mice?

Hi!

Hoping someone can advise... I'm not sure when to up the size of the mice I feed my snake. I first got her in February and has been on "medium" mice since before then (mice weigh around 18g give or take a few g). In February my snake weighed 114g, and now weighs 208g still on medium mice.

She has one mouse every 7 or 8 days or so, and seems to be getting them down quicker these days. She still has a bit of a bump after eating but does disappear within a day!

Is it time to go to bigger mice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-31-2016, 07:06 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
A snake that is still growing can eat about 10% to 13% of its body weight weekly.

Once the snake is adult weight, you can maintain a healthy diet by feeding about 10% of its body weight every 2 to 3 weeks.

If you have a scale, weigh your snake. For example: If your snake weighs 40 grams, it would be eating a 4.5 gram Fuzzy. If your snake weighs 100 grams, you could feed it a 12 gram Hopper, and if the snake weighs 300 grams you would feed a 30 to 35 gram mouse.

There is a Feeding Plan floating around the internet and somewhere on this site as well known as the "Munson Plan" that is based on this methodology. Although most people don't understand the gradients and how to interpret it properly.

I have been feeding snakes using this method for over 40 years and never had a feeding issue with any of my snakes.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #3
Ally.Wolf
Any easy way to tell is hold the mouse up next to your snake, is the mouse about the same size as your snakes body? If so your right on track! If the mouse is smaller you could probably go up another size but remember no bigger then 1.5 times the size of your snakes body!

Old 06-01-2016, 05:34 PM   #4
albertagirl
I know I feed conservatively, and newbies like me always underestimate what their snakes can eat, but I'm still just shocked that a 114g snake could get an 18g mouse down! That must have left one heck of a lump in your girl!
I wasn't feeding that size until my snakes were at least 200g.

Even following the 10% rule, that would still be pretty close to the right size feeder for her at her current weight.
But I'm not an expert, just an amazed novice. :P

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google