CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Weird Sore On Frozen Rat

Old 08-25-2016, 09:21 PM   #1
kgdio
Weird Sore On Frozen Rat

Hello all, haven't been on here in many years, but i remember this as a good place to come and get good advice. I currently own a ball python thats about 9 years old. I bought a frozen rat today and it has a very strange sore on its shoulder that doesn't look good to me. I heard rats like to scratch a lot, especially if they have mites/lice, but this rat has been frozen so im not too worried about that. I am worried about what else this sore could be from and if it would be dangerous for me to feed it to my snake.

Heres some pictures, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:36 PM   #2
DollysMom
If in doubt, throw it out. Words to live by.

There is no way to tell what that actually is and if it makes you uncomfortable there is no reason to use it.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:43 PM   #3
daddio207
Welcome back
I could only speculate what that is from but I know I would not feed it to my snake.
If you bought it local to you then I would return it or just eat the few dollars and get another one.
Now for speculation LOL
Could it be the way they dispatched it?
I've seen "blow outs" like that from heating a frozen mouse or rat to fast but not in that area.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:26 PM   #4
kgdio
thanks for the replies. I'll just return it tomorrow. it's a pain tho cause im going camping tomorrow so Bruce will have to wait till Sunday or Monday to eat now. Also, i thawed it with hot water with it double bagged like always, but never saw anything like that. thanks again!

Old 08-26-2016, 09:40 AM   #5
axis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
If in doubt, throw it out. Words to live by.

There is no way to tell what that actually is and if it makes you uncomfortable there is no reason to use it.
Ditto Dude!!!

I mean, if you have to even ask the question, then toss it!!

(Just a thought: the saddest part about something like this is that, under any other circumstances, this particular rodent's life would have been wasted. However, now that it's been used as an educational mechanism of sorts, its life did have a purpose! See, we can even wax philosophical about dead frozen rodents here! How can you beat that?)

Just sayin'.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:27 AM   #6
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis1 View Post
Ditto Dude!!!

I mean, if you have to even ask the question, then toss it!!

(Just a thought: the saddest part about something like this is that, under any other circumstances, this particular rodent's life would have been wasted. However, now that it's been used as an educational mechanism of sorts, its life did have a purpose! See, we can even wax philosophical about dead frozen rodents here! How can you beat that?)

Just sayin'.
Only from the mind of axis1!

Old 08-26-2016, 10:55 AM   #7
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
Only from the mind of axis1!
Haha SO TRUE !

I feel the same way about it. I even thank my cockroaches before feeding them to my lizards for their purpose in the cycle of life. I know Frilly isn't going to thank them !! haha

Old 08-26-2016, 04:29 PM   #8
axis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddio207 View Post
Haha SO TRUE !

I feel the same way about it. I even thank my cockroaches before feeding them to my lizards for their purpose in the cycle of life. I know Frilly isn't going to thank them !! haha
Thank the cockroaches for their purpose! Another typewritten rumination you will probably never see on Snapchat or Facebook, unless it's expressed by someone who practices the veneration of certain arthropods!

And thanx for the kudos Dollysmom!

It's nice to be appreciated! Especially someone like me, who was an ugly kid (I was told that when I was born, that the doctor slapped my MOTHER! And that when I was a toddler, my parents hired OTHER kids to play ME in home movies!! )

YIKES!!!

Old 08-26-2016, 04:31 PM   #9
axis1
BTW, kgdio, could the picture of that rat have been any LARGER????

Old 09-06-2016, 08:34 AM   #10
perk7089
It's definitely better to toss it out for the sake of the snake!! I raise & kill & freeze & feed my own snakes & never had anything look like this!! Better to be on the safe side it won't hurt the snake to wait to be fed!!! That's better than giving him something more than a meal!!... My Ball python Stryker went on an 8 month fast one time!! I was freaking out!!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google