CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Genes

Old 02-27-2018, 08:30 PM   #1
GRIMJIM
Genes

Hi all.
I've been reading about genetics today. I'm half understanding it but it's rather confusing.
It got me wondering what genes my own snake could be carrying.
She is an anery, ‎ I know that her dad was an anery and I think her mum was an albino. But obviously I don't know what genes they were carrying either.
‎ I don't know if I would ever breed her in the future but I thought it would be interesting to put her against other morphs on the corn calculator but I don't understand it and obviously I don't know what genes she's carrying.
‎ I don't really know what I'm asking here to be honest, but any inputs appreciated.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

Old 02-27-2018, 10:14 PM   #2
Shiari
If the mom was an amel, then your snake is heterozygous for amelanism.

The most common hidden hets for a corn snake to carry are: hypo, amel, anery, or motley. To find out about any hidden genes, you'd have to test breed against a snake that is carrying those genes for sure.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:17 AM   #3
GRIMJIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
If the mom was an amel, then your snake is heterozygous for amelanism.

The most common hidden hets for a corn snake to carry are: hypo, amel, anery, or motley. To find out about any hidden genes, you'd have to test breed against a snake that is carrying those genes for sure.
Ok thanks. So if for instance I bred her with a normal that was also het for amel, some of the hatchlings would be amel?

Old 02-28-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
crackerhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMJIM View Post
Ok thanks. So if for instance I bred her with a normal that was also het for amel, some of the hatchlings would be amel?

"Could possibly be Amel" is the more accurate outcome. Every egg has a 25% chance of being Amel. So in a clutch of 4 eggs you could get all Normals Het for Anery PH or Het Amel or anywhere from 1 to 4 Amels Het Anery.

Terri

Old 02-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
GRIMJIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerhead View Post
"Could possibly be Amel" is the more accurate outcome. Every egg has a 25% chance of being Amel. So in a clutch of 4 eggs you could get all Normals Het for Anery PH or Het Amel or anywhere from 1 to 4 Amels Het Anery.

Terri
Ok. I think I'm getting it now. Cheers

Old 02-28-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
Shiari
As an example, I bred an anery to a ghost. The ghost laid 15 eggs. Of those 15, a single snow popped out, showing both parents were actually het amel. In an ideal world I would have had 3 or 4 snows but real life has randomness and that's how I ended up with just 1.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #7
GRIMJIM
Quote:
As an example, I bred an anery to a ghost. The ghost laid 15 eggs. Of those 15, a single snow popped out, showing both parents were actually het amel. In an ideal world I would have had 3 or 4 snows but real life has randomness and that's how I ended up with just 1.
Oh ok. So het amel + het amel = ghost, not amel

Old 02-28-2018, 10:54 AM   #8
GRIMJIM
Quote:
Snow sorry not ghost

Old 02-28-2018, 11:20 AM   #9
Dragonling
Snow is Anery + Amel. Let's back up here. Give this a read: http://cornguide.com/geneticspages.php?page=1

Old 02-28-2018, 10:36 PM   #10
Shiari
Sorry. Ghost is hypo+anery, and when bred to another anery based animal ALL the babies will be anery based. If you add amel (removes black pigment) to anery (removes red pigment) you end up with a snow (white snake because it lacks black and red).

The part that relates to you is that I bred a snake that was het amel to another snake that was het amel and out of 15 eggs only got one baby that was visually an amel which shows that the 25% truly is *per egg* rather than per the whole.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google