• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

uses for shed skins

lazarin

hi y'all! i've got a pretty handsome pile of shed snakeskins decorating my house now, and was wondering if any of you guys do something cool with them. i've seen some nice crafts around the internet, and stuff like pinback buttons.

since they're an organic material, i figure there must be some practical use. has anyone tried composting them, or something like that?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I used to put them in my compost pile but the birds kept stealing them and weaving them into their nests. The neighbors complained that it was creeping them out so I stopped. They take a long time to breakdown. There is one nest that has been used for three seasons now, with minor repairs, that was made with sheds that are still intact.

Terri

I separate the heads from perfect sheds and stick them to my refrigerator. (Stainless steel.)

Perhaps this is why I'm single.

I used to put them in my compost pile but the birds kept stealing them and weaving them into their nests. The neighbors complained that it was creeping them out so I stopped. They take a long time to breakdown. There is one nest that has been used for three seasons now, with minor repairs, that was made with sheds that are still intact.

Terri
i bet those bird nests looked cool as hell though

thanks for the replies!

I just remembered a time when I was at the Arlington show some years ago where Don Soderberg handed a bag of sheds to a lady. She was very excited and thankful thus peaking my curiosity. Once she left, I asked Don what she wanted with snake sheds. He replied that every year she contacted him before the show and asked him to save sheds for her. She owned a beauty shop and used them as decoration on nails. The shed were embedded into the wet nail lacquer and then top coated. Nails and Scales! I'll bet they looked cool.
I've done similar projects with wooden treat boxes. It's an interesting finish and you can make your "snake box" any color you choose. The heads are very cool when you put them in poured resin jewelry. If it's tinted it can look like Amber with a shadowy 3D snake head inside.

Terri

I just remembered a time when I was at the Arlington show some years ago where Don Soderberg handed a bag of sheds to a lady. She was very excited and thankful thus peaking my curiosity. Once she left, I asked Don what she wanted with snake sheds. He replied that every year she contacted him before the show and asked him to save sheds for her. She owned a beauty shop and used them as decoration on nails. The shed were embedded into the wet nail lacquer and then top coated. Nails and Scales! I'll bet they looked cool.
I've done similar projects with wooden treat boxes. It's an interesting finish and you can make your "snake box" any color you choose. The heads are very cool when you put them in poured resin jewelry. If it's tinted it can look like Amber with a shadowy 3D snake head inside.

Terri
very cool!!

You know what else is fun to do with them- give them to kids. I gave a whole bag of nice sheds to my friend's grade school son. He sorted them all out and cataloged them!

You know, I have always thought that there must be some pretty unique characteristics of the very first shed that a newly hatched baby snake goes through right after hatching. It has to protect the skin of the baby while in the egg and being in a constantly wet environment.

I would hazard a guess that some species, such as the sea snakes, probably have pretty interesting properties to their skins as well.

i'm pleased to report that my cherry shrimp and mystery snails seem to enjoy a little snake skin. so! everyone needs an aquarium!
87b447e298e9c4491290bf1a4b018510.jpg

Back