• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Progression thread: Normal Cape African house snake

Good picture. Is that with a phone or a real camera? It's got really good quality.

Thank you! :)

it's an iPhone 6 in artificial light, HDR, no flash. It's what is handiest 99% of the time.

Aww, he's so cute!

Thank you, hatch mom! :)

What a cutie!!

Nicole

He is so unbelievably adorable.

Sent from my XT1042 using Tapatalk

To all of you, thanks for your kind words. It is such a privilege to have him and to be able to share his progress here!

I am glad you made this progression thread! Such a beautiful little guy. I have always loved African house snakes. They are the closest I can get to a rainbow boa where I live.

Clyde's new house

Got Clyde moved into his new viv. It's a 10 gal Critter Cage with a sliding lid. Gone are the Velcro straps and clips from the 10 gallon aquarium. I don't think he can tell the difference. He slept through the whole thing in his humid hide. I did change out the paper towels and put in fresh water, but I left the decor without washing it at this time so it would have his scent. FYI the towel over it is to help keep the humidity up in the winter.

gbHehksl.jpg

yup, I stretch that Kitchen Seran Wrap (spelling?) over the lid for the same purpose. It is so dry here right now (25% in the house) but I am managing to maintain 40% in the cage plus a humid hide which he's in right now.

Clyde will love his new home.

Thanks Karl. The Saran Wrap is another good idea. Clyde may love it, but I love losing the Velcro straps even more! :) Give Rufus my regards.

A short video

http://youtu.be/Jo1oSKG96bY

I couldn't get any pics today. Every time I got close, Clyde climbed on my phone.

Here he is exploring my bed. It's a short clip because I had to run around to guard him from going off the edge.

After the video he crawled through my fingers for a while.

His color is still really golden brown since his last shed.

rut row..... the video appears to be missing.

By the way, there's a show that comes on TV now and then called "Snake City." It's these guys in Africa that get called to eradicate or rescue wild snakes that get into people's houses, yards, etc.....

Well a few minutes ago they rescued a wild House Snake from a guys garage. It looked just like Clyde! And even though it was a wild snake, didn't even bite them. It was very sweet.

Thanks Karl. It shows for me as an embed on my iPad, but I added a link below as an alternative. Good to know that the embed doesn't work for everyone.

I'll have to look for Snake City. I love seeing anything snake but especially corn and house snake. Yeah, Clyde's never tried to bite me though he strikes his pinkies with a vengeance. Another data point against "cage aggression" because I've always fed Clyde in his viv.

He's fast. I like the way he moves. He'd probably be hard to keep up with if he took off. Wonder if anyone has ever tried "Snake Racing?"

In my area we have Comcast Cable, and the "Snake City" show comes on the Wildlife Channel (WILDH). I think it's part of the National Geographic / Discovery Channel packages.

He's fast. I like the way he moves. He'd probably be hard to keep up with if he took off. Wonder if anyone has ever tried "Snake Racing?"

Oh yes, he can be very fast! I don't take my eyes off of Clyde when he's out. That's also why I always have some greenery and or/hides on the bed. I want him to have a place to stop feel more secure. He sure blew right past the fake leaves this time.

In my area we have Comcast Cable, and the "Snake City" show comes on the Wildlife Channel (WILDH). I think it's part of the National Geographic / Discovery Channel packages.

I found it. I have all future episodes set to record, and all the reruns I can find, too. It's on NatGeo Wild for me. We have it, I just never noticed the show.

Karl, thanks for the 'heads up' about Snake City. I'd never seen it before. (I've seen a couple episodes of Snake Bytes though) I 'searched' Snake City on the website 'Mopvideo.com' and found several episodes. If you've never used 'Mopvideo' it's free. There are many 'channels' to pick from although they may not all work. You just have to keep trying till you find one. I used 'shared.SX' this morning (I work 12-8am) and I saw "Into the snake pit" where he climbs down this small tunnel to get a python out. He and the camera man went down to get him out. Seems the snake had been eating the farmer's chickens. Let me tell ya, I'm not climbing down a hole to drag out a python! :eek:

Back