CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Just feeling cranky this morning

Old 06-21-2005, 05:56 PM   #81
Mary-Beth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taceas
Well now I agree with you to an extent, but if everyone 'donated' it'd be a pay-to-use site, wouldn't it? I just think you're getting a little over-zealous with this, personally.
One of us has taken what he said the wrong way I think. The way I read it, he was saying that about the people trying to sneak for sale ads into the photo gallery.

Old 06-21-2005, 06:32 PM   #82
Taceas
I can see it from two perspectives. I was taking into consideration all that Gronk has said about contributing in the first place for the basis of my point.

There's nothing wrong with a crusade...but crusading here is like preaching to the choir. If he is so annoyed about how people abuse the system, then he needs to be taking on those offending people one-on-one.

Like say JoeSchmoe posts a for sale ad for his snakes in the Breeding and Egg section...send him a PM and let him know that such behaviour isn't tolerated, why it isn't tolerated, and how best to work WITH the system.

To me, we're all part owners of this site. We all contribute information, work, effort, and passion into this place. Some, like us, have chosen to give monetarily as well. I don't think it should all be up to Rich to find the offenders and destroy them. I think if we make a concerted effort into shaping how we want the forum run by ourselves, its that much more satisfying for us and less work Rich has to do.

I consider most of us 'Pay-Uppers' almost moderators to an extent, moderators isn't the word I'm looking for but can't think of it exactly. Maybe I shouldn't...but I do. We all have a vested interest in this place and like to see it used properly, no trolls, et cetera or else we wouldn't have paid, am I correct?

I think its partly our responsibility to let people who are doing wrong things on here in on how we feel and that we don't agree. I've sent PM's to several people I thought could have used a little more descretion, tact, whatever..I don't think thats any different than saying 'Hey, there are rules about for sale ads, this doesn't belong here, please remove it, and here's how you can post a proper for sale ad'. Or something along those lines. I wouldn't post it publicly unless they repeat the offensive action, just send them a polite PM letting them know that that sort of behaviour is frowned upon and give a reason why. Just be sure to save your PM's by downloading them as an XML or whatever every now and then.

Or maybe I am totally off-base here..either way, I WANT to help around here as most of us do. Perhaps this could be a way to help. I just hope someone doesn't go too far, get a weed up their ass, and play "God on a Pedestal".

A good portion of us don't let Rich know when someone's being a dickweed, half of the time. Thinking we're either not sure about if they really violated some social norm or truly need attention from Rich paid to them. That and Rich always seems busy and I hate bothering busy people, even if it is their site, paid for by them, and have been repeatedly told to come forward with stuff. =P

Old 06-21-2005, 07:47 PM   #83
Gronk
Misty...

If you took my comment as people should pay $25 a month, then I apologise...bad wording on my part.

If you think I'm saying everyone who uses the site should donate..I'm not saying that either. As you mentioned..it's not a pay site. I've just always felt any board I've used regularly or have gained from is worth some support.

My issue with the particular post I linked was he was basically saying : "Hi, see my snake..anyone want to buy or trade for it."
So if one area isn't available to sell it...he'd take another avenue. Did that irritate me ? Yes it did. He's not new to the board..he saw inability to post in the For sale area and moved to another.

Anyway...nothing about my last couple posts was meant to stir up anything about liking or disliking people, that's not the case. I didn't like the action a person used, that's all. I only put his name in my last post because you asked.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:58 PM   #84
Taceas
No hard feelings.

I think I just misinterpreted your enthusiasm of late coupled with the idjit's ploy to pull a fast one on everyone.

I know he's not new new..I've just never seen him post anything of substance or even seen him in chat. I was just wondering why the *oh it figures it'd be him* tone that I was sensing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk
I've just always felt any board I've used regularly or have gained from is worth some support.
The same goes for me. I actually pay for little programs I use ALL of the time just to get the full version without ads and actually give back to the people who developed such a product that makes me love it. Opera, Trillian, Weatherbug..I paid for the full versions and haven't been disappointed yet.

I think Menhir had a point (at least I think it was Menhir) that there needs to be a way to Contribute and get some sort of recognition without having to shell out $25 for a Full Contributor dealio.

I think $5-$10 could be a Jr. Contributor and they get a little plaque for bragging rights that makes them feel good, proud and want to contribute more. It's the little things that make people happy it seems. Yes, people could just use the Donate button, but people are more apt to participate if they get trinkets in return as dumb as that is. They want to see their money go towards something, even if its a little picture saying they're "Speshul".

I'm not trying to beat up on ya, I just think you need to point your aggravation at such people who you're aggravated at. But your couple of spieles did kind of sound like you thought everyone should pay up if they had the money. Dunno if it was just me or not.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:00 PM   #85
Gronk
Misty Said :
Quote:
I just hope someone doesn't go too far, get a weed up their ass, and play "God on a Pedestal".
Not my intention at all. Not my place. Not my need.

Edit Add:

Misty, our reply posts are missing eachother by seconds (Grin).
If I've been "banging the drum" I'll stop, I guess I didn't realize it was sounding militant to some.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:08 PM   #86
Taceas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk
Misty, our reply posts are missing eachother by seconds (Grin).If I've been "banging the drum" I'll stop, I guess I didn't realize it was sounding militant to some.
LOL, yeah they are!

Militant? No. CAV is militant, we still love him though.

But it did sound like you wanted to take the bad people behind the woodshed however...

Dangit, I would have thought my $25 would have gotten us some new smilies..I need a "spank" emoticon!

Old 06-21-2005, 08:23 PM   #87
Gronk
Lol...my Wife goes to a site that has a smiley emoticon with a whip...

NO Cav !! It not "that" kind of site

Old 06-23-2005, 01:22 AM   #88
DdotSpot
Rich...what do you do in the case of the "Wanted" section? If someone posts that they are looking for a certain morph and a non-contributor announces that they have them for sale? Still ok to do that?

Old 06-23-2005, 11:07 AM   #89
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by DdotSpot
Rich...what do you do in the case of the "Wanted" section? If someone posts that they are looking for a certain morph and a non-contributor announces that they have them for sale? Still ok to do that?

Yes that is OK, as long as the person responding doesn't then create an advertisement out of the response. You know, something like:

Yes, I have what you are looking for!

And while you are at it, please come to my website at www.cheapsnakes.com and see what else I have to offer.

Also, I have a special this week on the following:

blah blah blah blah.....

That, I think, would be taking it a bit too far.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google