CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

reputation points

Old 01-25-2005, 10:46 PM   #11
MADMAN
only a game that interests people playing it

Old 01-25-2005, 11:06 PM   #12
CAV
I couldn't disagree more.

Old 01-26-2005, 08:47 AM   #13
darkpbstar
see, I clicked the rep point deal under where it sais rep points, where you add them, because I wanted to see if there were comments or something, I didnt think you could add them or anything, and I wasn't trying to add them to my own name, but now I have -30.

Old 01-26-2005, 10:42 AM   #14
CAV
I don't think you can give/take points for yourself and you can only give an amount that corresponds to your rep power. Someone else has giving you that feedback. You can check it on the User CP screen.

Old 01-26-2005, 11:04 AM   #15
Itsnowingcorns
MADMAN, if it's a game then why do people take it so seriously? too much so IMO. I feel people are being labelled, we can judge what people are like by ourselves, and whether to accept their advice or not without the use of a rep point system.

Old 01-26-2005, 11:18 AM   #16
KatieL
I agree, I think the rep power system is very useful. When I was new to the forum I got a lot of advice (both by making my own posts, and reading others). I didn't exactly know what the "rep power" meant at the time, but I figured the people with more of it probably knew what they were talking about more than the people with little or none of it. As time progressed I learned who's advice I should trust, and who's I should be leary of on my own. Until I reached that point though, the rep power was very useful when deciding what I should do for sienna. It may not be incredibly useful for people who have been around on the forum for a while, but its invaluable to newbies.

Old 01-26-2005, 11:26 AM   #17
CAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsnowingcorns
I feel people are being labeled, we can judge what people are like by ourselves, and whether to accept their advice or not without the use of a rep point system.
So it is your first day on the forum and you post a question. You get two responses, one from Serpwidgets, and one from Insane Penguin. These two individuals both offer a solution to your problem. Without knowing anyone on this site, how do you know which person's advice to heed?

The system isn't for someone that has been a member for months or a retile keeper for years, it is for the newcomer to the hobby that may not have the experience to weed through the numerous conflicting methods that often come to the forefront. Just because you have that ability to ascertain the good from the bad, doesn't mean we should deny that assistance to those who can’t.

Just my opinion, labels are just a part of life. No way to avoid that.

Old 01-26-2005, 11:46 AM   #18
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpbstar
see, I clicked the rep point deal under where it sais rep points, where you add them, because I wanted to see if there were comments or something, I didnt think you could add them or anything, and I wasn't trying to add them to my own name, but now I have -30.

If you click on the User CP and you scroll down a littl you will see where it says "Latest Reputation Received". That will tell you the who, what, where and when the points were given or taken.

You can't give or take points to/from yourself.

Old 01-26-2005, 02:01 PM   #19
Itsnowingcorns
Yeah but CAV, I wouldn't be able to read what Insane Penguin is on about, so wouldn't be able to accept any of his advice .
Honestly, who would take his advice seriously? Even a newbie can spot he's, well, stupid. And the same goes for others.

Old 01-26-2005, 02:22 PM   #20
CAV
That was meant to be rhetorical. I stand by what I said; you can others can't.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google