CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

The Reputation System is gone.

Old 03-04-2005, 02:53 PM   #11
Spirit
Man, some of you need lives. If you're not complaining about rep points, you're complaining about how often someone posts in the photo forum, and if not that then you're complaining about the person who's complaining!

I'm glad it's gone. I like the idea of knowing who gives good advice (or who not to listen to), but it doesn't always work that way. It's a shame though... it (rep points) would be a nice thing to have if used properly. Ah well... having said that, I won't miss them. Thanks, Rich.

Old 03-04-2005, 03:15 PM   #12
howiet4702
I personally liked the rep points because when you are new to these forums and cornsnakes in general and you needed advice, you knew who exactly the person who knew what the hell they were talking about. (Wow, that was a long drawn out sentence! LOL )

But know that I have been here a while and I have given out some sound, quality advice myself, it was nice that I had some decent rep points going for me.

But this had to stop somewhere. I agree that it was getting out of hand though...

Old 03-04-2005, 03:27 PM   #13
princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigs
I must admit I find this a bit humorous and ironic to say the least. You in fact are one of the said "offenders" as you have brought the topic up several times and complained in open forum about Robert posting on all the 'Photo Gallery' threads!

As well as talking about newbies asking questions and giving advice without prior experience. Time to face the "facts", much of what is said on these forums as well as on on ALL other forums, not only by that particulary person, is regurgitated from reading and not with said experience! This is human nature, like it or not.

Quiggs,

As well as participating in some of these threads, I've PMed and e-mailed back and forth with a number of people who have been mildly or majorly offending other peoples sensibilities on this forum in a friendly way to ask them to tone down, take it easy or whatever. Sometimes people don't realise they're pi**ing someone off and once they've been gently told, they realise and change their behaviour. In most cases they appreciate the insight as they didn't mean to offend anyone in the first place. I believe intervention before it gets all blown out of proportion is often the best MO rather than the petty name calling match that invariably ensues. The reason I've been doing this in PM form is because I think people don't need to be publicly embarassed. If they were making an honest mistake then it's all cleared up...if they get all hissy about it and keep carrying on, then I take it up in the public arena.

As to all the patriotic americans reading this...this is in no way an attack on your values...perhaps when someone is flaming you the better reaction would be to say 'whatever', rather than get all puffed up. I have a number of american friends, in fact one of my best friends is american and we have this debate regularly. This does seem to be an american phenomenon from my experience, some of my american friends are as perplexed by it as I am.

Let's drop this whole thing and get back to talking about our snakes, OK?

A

Old 03-04-2005, 03:49 PM   #14
TrpnBils
Is there some way we could put number of corns and/or years experience in the profile (to make it mandatory I mean, not just leaving it up to everyone to put it in their sig)? That would at least give everyone a judge of who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't. I understand that people could lie about their experience, but I don't really think there's a fool-proof way to know that everyone is being 100% honest all the time.

Old 03-04-2005, 04:11 PM   #15
Jason B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrpnBils
Is there some way we could put number of corns and/or years experience in the profile (to make it mandatory I mean, not just leaving it up to everyone to put it in their sig)? That would at least give everyone a judge of who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't. I understand that people could lie about their experience, but I don't really think there's a fool-proof way to know that everyone is being 100% honest all the time.
At least when posting they could let you know if they are giving advise based on personal expierience or if they are repeting what they have read here or elsewhere. example: If someone is to say that you need two hides in every cage, did they read that somewhere or did they romove one hide from each cage and have cornsnakes droping like flies?
I'm sure many can give good advise without first hand expierience , but it would be nice to know what the advise is based on.

Old 03-04-2005, 04:55 PM   #16
princess
There's unfortunately a huge difference between a person who has had one snake for 3 months and read everything in print and on the internet and asked pros advice to someone who's been keeping 30 snakes for 20 years but has an inapropriate environment for them, health problems, neglects the animals....yeah, so these are extremes but they do exist...

Old 03-04-2005, 04:56 PM   #17
Chip
I think anyone educated enough to buy a cornsnake and find these forums is going to be able to tell whether advice is sound. And stupid advice gets jumped on pretty quickly around here.

Old 03-04-2005, 05:02 PM   #18
CAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrojo
And stupid advice gets jumped on pretty quickly around here.
Is that elrojo guy on here flapping his gums again?? Some people just don't get the hint.

Old 03-04-2005, 05:15 PM   #19
Mangrove
Cool

Quote:
elrojoAnd stupid advice gets jumped on pretty quickly around here.

Hahaha I am living proof; post 30 things a day and everyone hates you hahaha but I think we got that resolved, at least I haven’t got any red squared lately

Old 03-04-2005, 05:40 PM   #20
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrpnBils
The problem would inevitably arise as to credibility of such claims. Anyone who would likely cause friction here would also be quite tempted to inflate their claims about their experience level. So then an escalating war would result as people tried to make the horn they toot sound louder then the other guy.

I think given enough input from everyone here, the truth should eventually become very apparent as to who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't. The real difficulty is going to be grasping the concept that "truth" doesn't necessarily have to mean ONE thing. It may be different things for different people. Things like egg incubating medium and things like that have no one truthful answer.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google