CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Just feeling cranky this morning

Old 06-05-2005, 02:05 AM   #11
Drizzt80
Well my anal retentiveness is now showing . . . oops, better cover that up!

Going through the 50 most recent posts, I think there's 3 groups of people:
1. Contributors that respect the service you've provided with reasonable posts.
2. Non Contributors that are obviously taking advantage of the 'service' either with continual posting or cheaper prices, or both!
3. Non Contributors that are just 'looking for a new home' for their snake.

Would a policy like this be 'easy' to implement:
1. Contributors only can post for sale ads.
2. 10 ad maximum per year for the contributor level.
3. $(insert nomination here) per ad above 10. (contributor plus - ie. own forum owner or banner advertiser would have a higher max # ie. 20)
4. Ad a local giveaway/rescue section for unwanted corns.
5. Enforcement of 'deleting old ads', (though I don't see this as being a problem since the contributor are already doing that! . . . except for DdotSpot!)

I'm sure there'd be some things to tweak there, but it's what first comes to mind. One thing I've already thought of is continual editing of an initial posted ad.

Anyway, just some thoughts.
D80

Contributors:
CornCrazy 6 posts
carol 2 posts (1 deleted) contributor plus
Drizzt80 2 posts (1 deleted) (me)
DdotSpot sold and ad still listed (shame on you! )
shep151
Hurley contributor plus plus

Non Contributors:
Gorilla Newb asking what to sell his snake for
tsthompson 1.2 snows make an offer
stephen 5 posts (Kinda confused why he's not a contributor . . .)
mike 171 selling ratsnakes
blckkat (kinda confused why she's not a contributor . . . believe she is on Fauna)
ultimatecorns 4posts
sjatm941 one of those come pick it up posts
newt Canadian looking to trade a beardie for a corn
franklin 2 posts request for Don S.'s email address . . .?!
Gregg (in my opinion should be a contributor . . . )
vicdc ONLY 36 posts since Aug 2003, and majority are just for sale ads HMMMM!!!
hzahorka snake sold and post still listed . . .
krenna selling a normal het lav/stripe for $100 what a steal!
Gallagher
homersimpson price drop 3 times in order to sell . . . ad is 'hanging' so to speak
Prellas 'just in case' scenario post . . . confusing
cornsnakekeeper thread from 2004 revived!!
carl3 snakes sold, ad still up
oreo1700

Old 06-05-2005, 04:05 AM   #12
carol
Sorry this is a little but I have found in certain instances I can no longer delete my threads. Maybe we can only delete them when no one has replied? I recently tried to delete my ad in the "Wanted" forums and was unable. Am I missing something or is this just because others replied?

Old 06-05-2005, 05:34 AM   #13
CornCrazy
I, too, have been unable to delete some of my old "for sale" ads. Not to mention that SOMETIMES it is VERY hard to find them. I have wondered if I should make a list with exact titles of the for sale ads so that I can find them when the snakes are sold. There have been times when I haven't gotten a reply and the ad gets "lost."

Well, I figured out how to do a search for ALL of the sales ads I have ever posted. I was able to delete all of the ones that aren't valid anymore. YAY!

Old 06-05-2005, 12:15 PM   #14
Rich Z
Off topic answer to off topic query

Deleting ads is actually a landmine. This system allows me to turn on/off deleting for each forum, which sounds real nice except when you get to the details of it. What this actually means is the capability of deleting a THREAD. That is ALL of the posts in a thread you started. Including posts that other people may have posted on it. Now at first blush this seems OK, because this is an advertisement that you created, so why not? But think about it a moment. How many times have some threads posted in that section become a REAL discussion? Is it FAIR that you have the power to delete ALL of those comments and information that other people may have posted on that thread you started? How would you feel if someone did that to you?

This actually happened once when a discussion got quite lengthy and the person who started the ad just went and deleted the whole thing, pretty much in spite. Luckily I can recover such things, but it certainly drove the point home to me that this was a problem I needed to address.

So, see why I removed the delete capability? Now I can set it up so that any ads placed in that section will not allow replies to it, but is that option really in your best interests?

Old 06-05-2005, 12:19 PM   #15
CornCrazy
Well...people can PM or e-mail the seller. I think it would be OK to set it up that way.

Old 06-05-2005, 01:30 PM   #16
Gronk
Thumbs up

Rich...

A few thoughts from a relative novice...

To me yourself, Don and Kathy are the "Holy Trinity" of corns. I dove into this hobby with both feet, and $$, about 2 years ago. If there is a particular corn morph I want a hatchling or yearling of..one of you is going to get the sale 90% of the time. I have ZERO doubt about quality, support and service..hence the dollars spent far outweigh saving some dollars on the initial purchase.

Granted, I don't have huge dollars to afford "cutting edge" morphs. For every $50 I spend with you...you have customers that spend $500. So I'm not sure if I'm a "good" customer...but I'm a VERY happy, satisfied customer. I'll be back as space and $$ allow (smile).

To get back towards the topic...I've used this site and Fauna to acquire some adults and a few younger snakes. Carol, Clint, Kat and Michelle are a few of the quality folks I've been able to deal with because of your sites. Many of the snakes that I got from them are originally from one of you "big three". For me..almost a cause and effect. I hope some of the dollars I spend with them trickle back to you as they buy some new stock. Maybe that's naive...shrug. As I learn..anything associated with you becomes a "seal of quality", for lack of a better term.

In any case...your site, your rules. If you even charged a fee for a listing or required they be a site contributor...do what you feel works.

Hope this helped even a bit.

Old 06-05-2005, 11:44 PM   #17
Drizzt80
Of course, maybe you were just feeling cranky yesterday morning . . .

D80

Old 06-06-2005, 05:28 PM   #18
Shep151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt80
shep151 (another one that I wonder why they're not a contributor . . . )
I am a contributor. I did dally, but the same day I submitted my "For Sale" ad this year, I ante'd up!
I just haven't complained about not having my name bolded and my medallion posted because, grand scheme of things, both me and Rich have busy lives and more important things to worry about right now, I think! Also, obviously, my contributor abilities are in full effect, so really no reason to complain.

Old 06-06-2005, 05:47 PM   #19
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep151
I am a contributor. I did dally, but the same day I submitted my "For Sale" ad this year, I ante'd up!
I just haven't complained about not having my name bolded and my medallion posted because, grand scheme of things, both me and Rich have busy lives and more important things to worry about right now, I think! Also, obviously, my contributor abilities are in full effect, so really no reason to complain.
Well Shep glad to see you're a contributor. No bad will intended of course, was just surprised that you weren't 'listed' as a contributor!

I also think it ads more credibility to the list of contributors that have posted for sale ads versus those who aren't contributors. (Which is actually why I was surprised you 'weren't' a contributor as I'd thought you would be.)

D80

Old 06-06-2005, 05:49 PM   #20
CAV
Just rolled in from West Texas and thought I'd throw my two cents in....

I've watched the repeat violators of Rich's goodwill casually show up and post want adds with no other interactions.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with paid classifieds. Perhaps contributors get a discount or there could be a "one price for 10 adds" package.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google