CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Contributing...

Old 06-14-2005, 06:49 AM   #51
Menhir
Sorry, I read through the last postings again and the more I read it the more I think that my intention was misunderstood - I at least hope that it's because I can't explain good enough what I mean. Such things are even hard to discuss via Internet in my native language and it's even harder for me in English.

First of all, I shouldn't have linked Joe's posting. It is not THAT posting that gave me the feeling I described nor do I think that it was the intention of Joe to say so. It's just a sum up of what I've read the last few months and this is one little stone. I'm quite sure that many people stating this did not think or feel the way I did and that's why I didn't want to quote anyone in the start. Is this understandable? I hope so.

I started the thread with the position, that "contributing" to the site means, that I'm a donator that keeps the site alive. On that base, I argued why I do not think that this is all to keep it alive and that we HAVE to give something back. I don't speak of WANTING to give something back, I mean HAVE to.
Is that clear so far?
OK, after I read Rich's postings and others about the whole sale thing I come to the conclusion that it's OK to let people pay for that. Perhaps I didn't describe that clearly enough. So, that made me change my mind from contributing is "keeping the site alive" to contributing is "buying and using a service" that goes over the service a "normal" user can use. And now the point where I think you got me wrong is, that I don't see a problem in earning money or letting people pay for a service. At the start I was arguing against saying people keep the site alive and earning money with that - which seems to be NOT the case here - at least not after Rich posted his clear and honest opinion to that.

Now, when I accept the contributing as buying an extra service, I don't see a reason that I contribute if I don't want or need the service. On the other hand, if I want to contribute to the site cause I have the feeling to give something back, I can still use the donation button for that. And the whole point that I criticize AFTER your explanations is, that people should more distingush between a donation to keep a thing alive and a contribution for extra service and also for making the site (perhaps) slightly profitable for the owner. And for MY feeling, that got lost a little bit. I know this from the whole Linux and freeware world where authors clearly declare some things as a free donation to get a little money (making it slightly profitable) or that they NEED money to keep a thing alive.

I really like this site a lot and it's definitely my favorite board for corns. If someone decided to make this site for paying members only, I could decide for myself wether I want to pay or not - to be honest, I would even pay - I'm not that all for free anarchie guy! The thing is, the more coins I see and the more often I read "we have to give something back" the more I feel that I'm exploiting someone because I use this board for such a long time (never attached pictures, never sold snakes) and contributed anything than my knowledge. If the Contributing thing would have been declared as a service, and under that point of view I think that many of your arguments are very true in the aspects of selling snakes and so on, I wouldn't have any problems with that and I'm quite sure so would do others.

I try to give as much to others as I can do for free and cause I'm a student, I have to think of every Eur I "waste" - and waste is everything next to my studying and eating. So I always try to give other things, my knowledge, my time and so on. And from sitting there it simply didn't feel good, that I'm in the exploiting position. Isn't that understandable in some way?

I'll try to get this to an end now. It was nice to talk about it, nice to hear the arguments of Rich and the (BAD!) coin people I hope no one felled offended that decided to contribute, I should say that I find it great that you are willing to donate money. When I read your statements, I'm sure you pretty much donated the money and didn't think of having a coin or using that special service. I hope I didn't gave you another feeling.

I for myself will accept the coin thing as a service and so try not to feel pushed to contribute to the site cause I'm exploiting it - that's at least what I can take with me from this discussion.

Thanks for your replies and greetings
Michael

Old 06-14-2005, 07:10 AM   #52
mbdorfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Mc
Better yet....How about I just give someone $25 so they can get their membership and end the bickering???
I'll go halves with ya

Old 06-14-2005, 10:05 AM   #53
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGoff69
Okay, since I've been so nice and "tactful" to everyone, I will post this rude and "untactful" post.
Jen,

I didn't think you had it in ya. I have a new found admiration for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwyn127
One member, DAND, (don't mean to embarass you) even went out of his way to meet me personally to probe a snake, then we stood in a parking lot for over an hour BS'n. I know he didn't do it because he has a coin next to his name.
Aw shucks

Old 06-14-2005, 10:33 AM   #54
A_Mc
DAND--I love the sig....(For a mere .06849315 cents a day you can have a shiny thingy too.)

Old 06-14-2005, 10:43 AM   #55
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Mc
DAND--I love the sig....(For a mere .06849315 cents a day you can have a shiny thingy too.)
Glad you like it.

Old 06-14-2005, 11:02 AM   #56
carol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menhir
I have a problem when paying for a service gets the touch of "you have to give something back" and so gives other people the feeling that they do not!
I think the majority of people a mature enough to realize that the signitures that say "Become a Contributing Member" or "Give something back" mean monetary donations, and does not mean it is the ONLY contribution they can give to this site. I still have yet to find one that says you "HAVE" to? Can you refer me to anyones that says so? I think you don't understand peoples intentions. There are many people here who, like myself, post loads of pics, and are "server hogs", I think it is a good idea that they are reminded in other peoples sigs that they can help out for that. There may be a select few that are going to pretend they are great for it, but don't be mad at the system because of a few immature people. I really can only think of one thread we were talking about it, and we were joking around... maybe that fact didn't translate? (again that can be taken as a sincere statement or a jab, trust me, I'm sincere)

Quote:
So, that made me change my mind from contributing is "keeping the site alive" to contributing is "buying and using a service" that goes over the service a "normal" user can use...
...that people should more distingush between a donation to keep a thing alive and a contribution for extra service and also for making the site (perhaps) slightly profitable for the owner.
You still need to understand this is nowhere near making the site profitable for the owner.

Boy I hope the Girl Scouts never come to your house. Answer me this... WHY can't it be both? Why can't it be a "contribution for keeping the site alive" AND "buying and using a service"? Trust me, there is no prejudice here, my mother immigrated from Germany when she was 8. But do they not have fundraisers in Germany? Raffles? Benefits?

Here in the US, it is very common to have Fundraisers that combine Contributing with getting something in return. For my son's school, twice a year they sell cookie dough and chocolates as a fundraiser, you contribute... you get cookies. Sure there are people who spend countless hours volunteering at the school, there are people who make large monthly donations to the school and you know what they do when you walk by and say "I got some Fundraiser cookies!!" ? By all means, they do not go off on a tangent saying "Are you implying that since I didn't buy cookies, that you contribute and I don't? Do you think you're box of cookies compares to my hours of volunteer work!?!". Actually what they say is "That's great! Whatever you can do to help, where do I go to get some myself?"

Old 06-14-2005, 11:48 AM   #57
Serpwidgets
Keep in mind that people are usually speaking from their own perspective, toward other people who have the same perspective. A lot of newbies don't feel like they have a lot to contribute in the way of advice and all. (That's just a part of being "new" to something.) They feel like they are getting a lot of entertainment value out of this site, want to give something back, and the only way they are able to contribute (while still being newbies) is monetarily.

Also, it's not just the coins, the for sale posts, and editing posts... there's also a whole forum (The Insiders Club) that is accessible. (That's where all us "coin people" go to talk about how cool we all are and how uncool everyone else is. )

Old 06-14-2005, 11:48 AM   #58
Gronk
Carol....

I, for one, really appreciate your well thought out and articulated posts on this subject, and others. I wish I could string thoughts together so well at times.

As for the "server hog" comment...Keep those pics coming, Ma'am !! Your animals are too darn pretty to keep under wraps !

Old 06-14-2005, 12:07 PM   #59
Menhir
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol
the majority of people a mature enough to realize [...]
Seems that I'm not, don't you think?

I always thought so, but less PRIVILEGES made me think different. Are such youth thoughts that hard to understand at a given age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpwidgets
(That's where all us "coin people" go to talk about how cool we all are and how uncool everyone else is. )
You mean thats the cheap way of coolness compared to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Some people would like to have the distinction of having Lavender Blood Reds.
...when I look at the viv next to me, seems that my graphic design is worth the 2500$. (sorry, I also have to do a little show cause I'm not in the CCC (nice alliteration the CoolCoinClub ~g~) )

Old 06-14-2005, 12:21 PM   #60
carol
Quote:
...when I look at the viv next to me, seems that my graphic design is worth the 2500$.
Ya, that's a priveledge I'd definately love to have!

BTW, I certainly hope sigs are as powerful as you say they are, by this point many people will have thought they HAVE to visit my corner!

Cool!

(All said in fun of course)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google