CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Should I even ask?

Old 08-14-2006, 12:47 AM   #1
sfaoldguy
Should I even ask?

I am really not sure if I should even ask this as I am sure to get the response that it really depends on what I want and bla bla bla. Well, here is the question:

What is the best 10X or 12X optical zoom camera on the market for around $400 to $500? Less is ok too. I am going to be using the camera to document various wildlife in the East Texas area and posting it to the web. I would like the option of being able to get some good size, quality prints from the shots if possible. Macro shots are a major thing for me as I want to be able to get those beautiful scale shots as well as flora. Landscape come in second with beautiful horizon shots and tree line shots in my mind. Crisp shots are a must. I don't like softness.

I accept that I will be getting what I pay for, but I do want to get the most for what I pay so am needing the experience you guys have to help.

I have been researching this extensively, but so many reviews are conflicting or the reviewer doesn't want to step on the manufacturers toes so they water their comments down to the point the review is worthless.

This is kind of a what would you buy question.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer,
John

Old 08-14-2006, 01:40 AM   #2
zwyatt
Obviously, some folks are going to defend their cameras with much more gusto, because they either know (or claim to know ) much more about photography.

I'll just say that I bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ5 a while back. It's a 12x optical zoom. I really haven't gotten a chance to get out and really use it, but I've been very happy with what I have seen. Again, I wouldn't even put myself in the amateur photographer category so take my comments for what they're worth.

I'm sure that once I get a chance to get to know the camera and learn how to actually take pictures, other than with the default settings :P, I'll get even better performance from it. It's suggested price is $500, but I got mine online in the $300 range (New, In-Box).
I realize you are hesitant to accept reviews, but here's one that might at least give you the specs and some sample pictures...http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz5/
(There's a drop-down menu at the top of the page for selecting the other parts of the review...it's kind of hidden...well, at least I didn't see it right away!)

Personally, if I was looking to spend $4-500, I would look to go for something a bit nicer. Like I said, I got mine (plus a big memory card) for ~350 or so and it retails for $500. You should be able to find something with better features/performance that retails for more but still falls within your price range. That's just my opinion

Old 08-14-2006, 02:00 AM   #3
sfaoldguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwyatt
Obviously, some folks are going to defend their cameras with much more gusto, because they either know (or claim to know ) much more about photography.

I'll just say that I bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ5 a while back. It's a 12x optical zoom. I really haven't gotten a chance to get out and really use it, but I've been very happy with what I have seen. Again, I wouldn't even put myself in the amateur photographer category so take my comments for what they're worth.

I'm sure that once I get a chance to get to know the camera and learn how to actually take pictures, other than with the default settings :P, I'll get even better performance from it. It's suggested price is $500, but I got mine online in the $300 range (New, In-Box).
I realize you are hesitant to accept reviews, but here's one that might at least give you the specs and some sample pictures...http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz5/
(There's a drop-down menu at the top of the page for selecting the other parts of the review...it's kind of hidden...well, at least I didn't see it right away!)

Personally, if I was looking to spend $4-500, I would look to go for something a bit nicer. Like I said, I got mine (plus a big memory card) for ~350 or so and it retails for $500. You should be able to find something with better features/performance that retails for more but still falls within your price range. That's just my opinion
The site you provided was the best source of info I had found so far. I love how he had sample photos and all but he gave lots of cameras really high ratings which left me with a bunch of good cameras to choose from. He seems to love Panasonic also. I was looking at the FZ20.

I hadn't thaught to much about the listed msrp not being the actual price I would most likely pay. Don't know why, but that really didn't pop in mind lol. Thanks for your recommendation and since I will not be purchasing for about another week, I would love to hear from as many as possible.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:19 PM   #4
Lore
I have the Canon PowerShot S2 IS http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...canon_s2is.asp

I have taken some AMAZING shots with this camera. I LOVE it.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:50 PM   #5
Joejr14
If you're going to drop $500 on a camera, don't get a point and shoot. Buy yourself an entry level D-SLR like the Nikon D50, the Olympus whatever, or the Canon Digital Rebel.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:38 PM   #6
sfaoldguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
If you're going to drop $500 on a camera, don't get a point and shoot. Buy yourself an entry level D-SLR like the Nikon D50, the Olympus whatever, or the Canon Digital Rebel.
I seriously considered that but, after doing the research, I think something like the cameras mentioned above or the Sony DSC-H2 ( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyh2/ ) should fit the bill nicely and save me a couple hundred bucks to boot. I really don't like the fact that it does not have a DC in, but I can pick up a cheap card reader so I won't have to use the usb too much. I also have storage media that would work with this camera so I don't have to add that cost on.

Thanks for the suggestion.
John

Old 08-14-2006, 08:11 PM   #7
CaptBogart
Hmmmm, well, I would say that what ever camera you do get, it will teach you what you really want. I started with the Fuji Finepix, and now there is a new one coming out at the end of the month I've been wanting since I read about it. That's the way technology works, just go on any photography forum or discussion board and everyone is looking to upgrade. You can spend weeks researching and asking everyone what they like, but it comes down to what you want. I suggest going to Best Buy or one of the other places to try out the ones on display. Compare weight, (as you'll want to carry it everywhere), type of memory and how much that costs, (at least 1 gig), and since you prefer Macro, check to see how close you can get with autofocus on without any warnings. Good luck

Old 08-14-2006, 08:27 PM   #8
gwb8568
to be upfront and honest............i have no clue about cameras but have been looking at the fuji finepix that the capt. was talking about because it is more in my price range ( under $200). but what i have quite a bit of knowledge about is ebay, and if you want to get something cheap then that is the place to go online. now granted there will be some stores that have close-outs or maybe find a garage sale that could possibly have something but to be honest i have bought and sold through e-bay for the last 7+ years and you can find some steals out there (and you can also find some not so good deals). anyway, hope this helps a little bit. if you have any questions, pm me and i will be glad to help.

Old 08-14-2006, 08:36 PM   #9
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfaoldguy
I seriously considered that but, after doing the research, I think something like the cameras mentioned above or the Sony DSC-H2 ( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyh2/ ) should fit the bill nicely and save me a couple hundred bucks to boot. I really don't like the fact that it does not have a DC in, but I can pick up a cheap card reader so I won't have to use the usb too much. I also have storage media that would work with this camera so I don't have to add that cost on.

Thanks for the suggestion.
John

DSLR's are the way to go if you want to expand in the future. I'd suggest taking a look at pictures and comparing them between different models.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:21 AM   #10
sfaoldguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBogart
I suggest going to Best Buy or one of the other places to try out the ones on display. Compare weight, (as you'll want to carry it everywhere), type of memory and how much that costs, (at least 1 gig), and since you prefer Macro, check to see how close you can get with autofocus on without any warnings. Good luck
Done that a few times over the last week or so. I would go check out some models and take the pics etc and then go to reviews and see what they said and then back to the store to answer new questions lol. Every review I read means another trip to test the cameras.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google