CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Chat room - listen up, please
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 07:18 PM   #31
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
Who in the hell is complaining that they're off topic? If people would bother to see the WHOLE picture and not just a snippet of a conversation, you'd see that.
Ah, the "out of context" defense. A classic.
Quote:
Someone needs to explain how coming into the chat where a conversation is taking place and going:

HELLO DOES NE1 HERE HAVE TORTITOSES?!??

(no response in 10 seconds).....
  1. First off, whenever I come into chat, it's NEVER "a" conversation. It's multiple conversations, overlapping each other. Why shouldn't someone coming into the room have the ability to begin their own conversations? I could cite MANY instances where you yourself have entered chat and posted something not relevant to the topics at hand, e.g., a crappy shift at Blockbuster. Moving forward, do I have license to respond with "off topic - gtfo" to you??
  2. 10 seconds? Are you timing splits with a stopwatch?
Quote:
The reaction would be totally different if said person came into chat and said the following:

Hey guys, sorry to interrupt, but I was wondering if anyone here had any torts and could help me with a question I have?

I GUARANTEE you that that person would get an answer, instead of being ignored.
Agreed, to a point. As I've already opined, articulate questions win out over inarticulate ones, no doubt. But, as the logs indicate, they're not being ignored. Pack instincts have smelled out fresh meat.

Quote:
When you come into a place and act like an ass, expect to be treated like one.
Rich's point exactly. He's calling for an end to such behavior.

Quote:
This crap happens just about every night.
As does the pack mentality.
Quote:
I am sorry, but it's that same type of crap night and in night out....it gets old.
And again I say.....

Quote:
Maybe we were wrong to jump on Joe_Jo, but it's to be expected when you've had to deal with that same situation time and time again for a week and a half straight.
And Rich has asked that we alter our expectations, and thus, our behavior, lest we lose the privilege he's given us. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Quote:
Another thing---if you guys haven't been in chat, I think it's a bit absurd that you're making judgement and generalizations about this. Come on into chat and see exactly what happens before coming to conclusions.
I think the point is people who haven't been to chat have found no incentive to do so, given what they may face, as evidenced by the transcript.

regards,
jazz

Old 09-11-2006, 07:24 PM   #32
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgeek
Ah, the "out of context" defense. A classic.
  1. First off, whenever I come into chat, it's NEVER "a" conversation. It's multiple conversations, overlapping each other. Why shouldn't someone coming into the room have the ability to begin their own conversations? I could cite MANY instances where you yourself have entered chat and posted something not relevant to the topics at hand, e.g., a crappy shift at Blockbuster. Moving forward, do I have license to respond with "off topic - gtfo" to you??
  2. 10 seconds? Are you timing splits with a stopwatch?
Agreed, to a point. As I've already opined, articulate questions win out over inarticulate ones, no doubt. But, as the logs indicate, they're not being ignored. Pack instincts have smelled out fresh meat.

Rich's point exactly. He's calling for an end to such behavior.

As does the pack mentality.
And again I say.....

And Rich has asked that we alter our expectations, and thus, our behavior, lest we lose the privilege he's given us. Why is that so difficult to understand?

I think the point is people who haven't been to chat have found no incentive to do so, given what they may face, as evidenced by the transcript.

regards,
jazz

......I'm dumbfounded.

Dale, you are in chat with us every night, see these problems, and have acted quite often in the same manner that we did last night----and now you're scolding us?

After this post of yours, I certainly hope I never see you in chat scolding someone about coming into a cornsnake chat room and talking about 'torts.

jazzgeek_CS: I know some thing about tortoises.
jazzgeek_CS: and that thing is "Tortoises are not corn snakes".
jazzgeek_CS: Welcome to Cornsnake Chat, Oh Childish Twerp With Tourette's.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:32 PM   #33
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
I don't give an act of airbourne procreation.....
Trademark and/or copyright this, Dean, and quickly. Otherwise, I'm taking credit for it.

It's a thing of beauty.

regards,
jazz

Old 09-11-2006, 07:34 PM   #34
CMLReptiles
My statement was meant more in regards to a lot of stuff that was said OUTSIDE of that thread, mainly in chat. and alot of it was "this is a cornsnake site, not a boa site" despite the thread being in general discussion. Hope that clears things up.

Quote:
And in reply:

Not that anyone should give a rodent's gluteals about what disappoints me, but these two replies disappoint me. I was a major participant in the thread you reference, Chris, and I just re-read it to make sure my memory of it is accurate. It is. That thread was a discussion-- sometimes heated, but never really ugly. How you two compare that thread with the contents of this chat log is way beyond me.

There was nothing shameful about it, Jim. The only thing close to shameful in that thread was an off-color remark by the original poster for which she was temp-banned.

Go read the last post in that thread Chris. Your assessment then, when the thread was fresh, was very different from what you wrote in the post I quoted. Where's the mistreatment?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BillyBobob: I don't know about the whole "chat-clique" theory, man. I go in there occasionally, and I sure don't feel like part of any clique. Maybe there is one, and I'm just not part of it. Maybe they talk about me behind my back. But you know what? I'm an adult with more important things to worry about. I don't give an act of airbourne procreation about what happens in chat, whether I'm in the chat room or not. It's just chat.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:51 PM   #35
desertanimal
Well I don't give a curly-haired rat's you know what what goes on in chat. I am just not good enough at multi-tasking to handle the chatroom. But NOTHING that was said in that chat log excuses or justifies the tort guy's behavior.
If there is any censuring going on from Rich, I sure hope that guy the lion's share of it. I don't care HOW hard you "slap" a person verbally. His response was completely out of the ballpark.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #36
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
Dale, you are in chat with us every night, see these problems, and have acted quite often in the same manner that we did last night----and now you're scolding us?
Scolding? Nope. Just doing my usual schtick of pointing out ironies and inconsistencies - my own included. As I stated in my first post of this thread, I see the validity of Rich's point.

Before that, over three months ago, I opined on the pack mentality I've seen in chat.

Which is also why, after 2 days of doing it myself, I refused to jump to the privately created room - back and forth, forever (it seemed) - when the gang got frustrated with the "Fauna invasion" a day or two ago. I think I used the word "lemmings".

Quote:
After this post of yours, I certainly hope I never see you in chat scolding someone about coming into a cornsnake chat room and talking about 'torts.

jazzgeek_CS: I know some thing about tortoises.
jazzgeek_CS: and that thing is "Tortoises are not corn snakes".
jazzgeek_CS: Welcome to Cornsnake Chat, Oh Childish Twerp With Tourette's.

Save your eyeroll. First off, I'm all for tort reform.

If you haven't noticed by now, my primary goal in chat is to play and attempt some creativity with the words I post. Next priority is to do what I do in the forums - comment on inconsistencies and ironies. After that, learn about corns what I can't do by my own research.

And if these priorities don't agree with you, hey, gtfo.

(Get it now?)

regards,
jazz

Old 09-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #37
Candy_Cane1
Angry Ok.

Well, after reading this, you've all (Not Chris, Joe, all of you people i cant remember that i agree) Driven me to the point of wanting to drive my face into a cement wall. Because, there's people posting about chat cliques when they've rarely even BEEN in the chat room, people posting things against Joe, who was trying to FIX a problem, Oh, to all of those that happen to have been targeting Joe today, I apologize for you, because I found that mean, and if we would look at the actual problem, were trying to stop trolls not create them. I am very disappointed with everyones behavior, there are TONS of respectable people that attend that chat, that deserve better than being driven into the ground. If you accomplished anything today, you've accomplished Upsetting a 16 year old girl. Congratulations. My brain Cannot even COMPREHEND how much this has gone down hill.

Love and hugs from candy, AKA, Page.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:55 PM   #38
ghosthousecorns
Whoa, dumbfounded here.
I'm an occasional visitor to chat, I really don't have time to sit there for hours every night, but to me all of this boils down to common courtesy.
If somebody new comes into chat and says hello, take the time to greet them back. They will not feel like they are being 'ignored by the clique' if they are at least acknowledged.
If you come into chat and have a question, wait a minute, say hello, and try not to jump right into changing the subject.
If you use a bunch of abbreviations, spell incorrectly and leetspeak don't expect to be taken seriously.
If someone annoys you with their posting style or dumb questions, ignore them. Don't goad them on. If they bother you so much you can put them on ignore or leave.
For those of you who think it is a clique, I used to feel there was kind of a clique thing too, but now I don't so much. Maybe I'm just getting more accepted into the group because I've tried to make it a point to visit more often and try to participate more. It still kinda sucks sometimes to come in, say hello, and get almost no replies, but I guess nobody is under any obligation to greet everyone that comes in. I just would like to mention a couple of people who have said 'Hi Jen' to me and made me feel welcome in chat: Carol, CArattler, Ultimuttone, Bobo's Mama and Roy Munson to name a few screen names. You guys rock.
I hope everybody can use a little common courtesy and stop this resource from getting shut down entirely.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:57 PM   #39
tricksterpup
Quote:
There was nothing shameful about it, Jim. The only thing close to shameful in that thread was an off-color remark by the original poster for which she was temp-banned.
Dean,
I will give you the benifit of the doubt on that and I will reread the post. I remember the post and that some of the posts seemed unfriendly, not mean but just seemed cold shoulderish.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:10 PM   #40
carol
Hmmmm.

I'm really surprised the topic of the "Ignore" button has not come back up since Rich mentioned it. Exactly what is so painful about using it when someone's in there talking about something you don't want to hear?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread