CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Moderator(s) needed here....
Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 08:46 PM   #21
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan
I initially thought that as well, but changed my mind once I realized that a well-known moderator would have more success in calming a situation down than an unknown member.
Excellent point and I hadn't thought of that. I was going from the angle based on a PM I had received in the past to affect that they were impressed with the points I was making in some specific arguments, but at the risk of losing future business, hence they chose to not stir the pot. I don't blame them for a minute, in fact it was someone who's opinion and comments I greatly respect, but they were choosing to keep quiet on a particular issue because of the risk of losing future business. This person would, in my opinion, make an incredible moderator . . . but would they at the risk of losing business?!

I guess after your enlightenment, I'd change D. to: Could there be named and anonymous mods?! Rich did say potentially 3 mods . . .

D80

Old 02-03-2007, 08:48 PM   #22
Drizzt80
. . . oh, and in a lighthearted tone, would the mod(s) get a nicererest shiny new medallion to identify them?!

D80

Old 02-03-2007, 08:58 PM   #23
PtDnsr
As a suggestion maybe there could also be a warning system for lesser offenses? Just something along the lines of "don't go on a personal attack" or "this is getting out of hand stop now" to some extent. I realize that if it's a recurring problem that it might need to be handled differently but for the majority of things that happen a warning might help prevent things. Then if they don't stop the appropriate action can be taken. Granted I've never had to moderate a forum but I work in a high school so I've learned sometimes all it takes is a warning or threat. I'd probably name many of the people in this thread over me because there are a ton of great people here that want this place to stay the same great place it is.

~Katie

Oohhh...new contest for shiny coin things? Or do mods just get to be gold members

Old 02-03-2007, 09:03 PM   #24
Drizzt80
. . . just throwin' this out there . . . I'm kind of an idea guy once in a while . . . but would a rotating moderator system work? Say a new/different moderator each month? One benefit I could see is that it would alleviate stress for the mods. I don't answer the questions, I just ask 'em! Discuss.

D80

Old 02-03-2007, 09:12 PM   #25
Dave123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt80
. . . just throwin' this out there . . . I'm kind of an idea guy once in a while . . . but would a rotating moderator system work? Say a new/different moderator each month? One benefit I could see is that it would alleviate stress for the mods. I don't answer the questions, I just ask 'em! Discuss.

D80
I think that is a great idea. I also think that there should be more than one at a time in case someone missed a thread or can't get on one day. The only thing with the rotating mod thing is there has to be some sort of thing to be eligible for "mod of the month". We couldn't just randomly pick who the mod is.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:24 PM   #26
PtDnsr
Maybe a pool of people that Rich/the community thinks can handle being a mod? That way it can just be a rotating basis of maybe 2 or 3 per month. I definately like the idea of more than one because it's a lot of work for one person to deal with (these are pretty busy forums) and that way there's always someone to discuss things going on with.

~Katie

Old 02-03-2007, 09:28 PM   #27
Dave123
Great idea Katie.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:35 PM   #28
dwyn127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
So please, let me know who wants to apply for this job as well as who you would LIKE to see there.
I'd like to put my vote in for mbdorfer since he was one of the 1st to toss his name in the hat. Like someone already said, he stays neutral in all the BS threads.

Others who've offered who's decisions I'd respect, DAND, Susan and Drizzt80.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #29
Drizzt80
I was going to type this, but then erased is as it was getting too complicated, but I blame Katies as she got my "teacher" thinking juices flowing . . .
How about 12 mods. Each month two mods are active, 1 named and 1 anonymous. Each of the twelve will "serve" two months out of the year, with one month being names and one month being anonymous. In some instances it could be valuable if there was need for a good cop/bad cop scenario that needed to be played out . . . ie. such as dealing with middle school students!! Some students respond well to me, other respond well to my peers. Either way, we solve the issues as a team of teachers. Sometimes I'm the bad guy, sometimes I'm the good guy!

Of course, I don't think there needs to be "that much" moderation, so maybe my idea is just that. Remember, I don't answer the questions, I just ask them!!

D80

Old 02-03-2007, 09:46 PM   #30
Eremita
I don't like the anonymous moderator idea. I believe we should know our judges and juries (and executioners). A moderator should be willing to take the same responsibility for their actions as posters do for their posts. Otherwise, I think, Rich would probably get called in more often because someone who has some kind of defence to make effectively has no other person to whom to address their concern except the black hole of an anonymous moderator.

-Sean

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread