CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Adult content in threads..

Old 11-15-2007, 02:12 PM   #51
SnakesRule1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflier View Post
I do not intend to offend you in any way, BUT...this is the case in point.

You are 13. You shouldn't have any desire to participate in socio-political topics of discussion. You shouldn't have any desire to debate human rights. You shouldn't have any desire to discuss world politics and war. These things are not supposed to interest you. At your age, this TOPIC shouldn't even interest you.
Why should these thing not interest me? I see no reason why I should not be interested in politics, why should I not talk about human rights. I think that is just stupid, I have the right to discuss problems in the world and community. Just because I am 13, doesn't mean anything! I think that's bull and, it did offend me because in a way, you're putting me down and other people on this site because of their age. And probably kids that want to do something in the world! But because they "shouldn't" be interest in the world and what's happening they should sit on the couch and play video games. Right?

Old 11-15-2007, 02:15 PM   #52
MerlinsPop
Quote:

The only way, as far as I can see, to satisfy the desires of both sides of this issue is to create a forum specifically for those that DO wish to participate. Those that think it is unnecessary never have to go there. There is a sense of self-control in that issue...we control our posting of serious, debate topics to the Adult forum, you exert self-control by not going there.
Oh, they'd go there anyway, just as most people don't want to see blood and gore but can't take their eyes off the accident site as they slowly crawl by...

Old 11-15-2007, 02:15 PM   #53
SnakesRule1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinsPop View Post
It's not that simple, though. People are drawn here by the common interest of corn snakes. But, as we all interact with one another we begin to gravitate towards people. I think Jazz has a fantastically sharp wit and brings in a wide span of references that I enjoy. I've gained respect for Nanci, Janine, Rick and many others for their sage advice (even any advice I don't follow, not that I can think of an example at the moment). I grieved with Susan when she made the tough decision to put her dog down, reliving my own memories of doing the same thing. I think I'd like to have a beer with DesertAnimal if I'm ever in her neighborhood. I've grown fond of Jenn and smile every time I see she's posted and notice the "0.0.1 Human Fetus" and look to see the "1" move to the left somewhere). In other words, we become friends, and naturally start to loosen up a little with jokes and inuendo. Most keep it harmless; some push it a bit far (as long as there's a real rack in the picture somewhere, "nice rack" is funny... if there isn't, then it's not funny... I can't remember if there was or wasn't one in the referenced picture, not sure why).

Flip side of that coin is that just as one finds people they like in a place like this, it's also natural to discover people who you just don't like (for whatever reason). It's all too easy to start sniping at people you don't like. This, too, needs a bit of self-restraint, maybe even more because the internet makes it easy to lash out at people.

Sorry for such a long road to come to this conclusion: If it was strictly enforced that all discussions stay only about corn snakes and all comments were heavily monitored, you'd find that this place would become so boring that everyone would leave. There'd be some fantastic fact sheets for newbies to come and read, but no one would stay around after they learned what they needed to do. Rich knows this, as do the mods, which is why their job here is so tough.
I agree. I also like the ramblings of Jazz and sometimes other actually funny jokes people here make it's just that I think people should control what they say and not go over board. That's all I meant.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:27 PM   #54
MerlinsPop
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakesRule1234 View Post
Why should these thing not interest me? I see no reason why I should not be interested in politics, why should I not talk about human rights. I think that is just stupid, I have the right to discuss problems in the world and community. Just because I am 13, doesn't mean anything! I think that's bull and, it did offend me because in a way, you're putting me down and other people on this site because of their age. And probably kids that want to do something in the world! But because they "shouldn't" be interest in the world and what's happening they should sit on the couch and play video games. Right?
LOL ... You will only understand what was really meant when it's too late!!

Yes, you have every right to be interested in all those things! Of course you do! What you will only understand later on, is that right now is the only time in your life when you can get away with totally ignoring all those things. I wish I could completely forget about mortgage, work, bills, raising my son, being a good husband, taking out the trash, noticing Merlin get older, slower and deafer, car payments, on and on and on for even a little while. Not to sound creepy, but I love sitting on the edge of my son's bed and watch him sleeping so peacefully, knowing that the only care in his world right now is how many crickets he'll catch tomorrow. I know I won't sleep that sleep any more, but I'm determined to allow him the luxury of it as long as I can give it to him.

Sorry, I digressed! Chris makes a great point that every teen with a curious intellect, as you obviously possess, will dispute vociferously!

Youth really is wasted on the young...

Old 11-15-2007, 02:29 PM   #55
jazzgeek
Quote:
I agree. I also like the ramblings of Jazz and sometimes other actually funny jokes people here make it's just that I think people should control what they say and not go over board. That's all I meant.
Ramblings?

And if you're looking for control, you can't possibly imagine the number of times I've hit the "back" button on my browser, and the backspace key, as well.

regards,
jazz

Old 11-15-2007, 02:31 PM   #56
SnakesRule1234
Quote:

Sorry, I digressed! Chris makes a great point that every teen with a curious intellect, as you obviously possess, will dispute vociferously!

Well, I'm sorry I care.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:36 PM   #57
jazzgeek
Quote:
LOL ... You will only understand what was really meant when it's too late!!

Yes, you have every right to be interested in all those things! Of course you do! What you will only understand later on, is that right now is the only time in your life when you can get away with totally ignoring all those things. I wish I could completely forget about mortgage, work, bills, raising my son, being a good husband, taking out the trash, noticing Merlin get older, slower and deafer, car payments, on and on and on for even a little while. Not to sound creepy, but I love sitting on the edge of my son's bed and watch him sleeping so peacefully, knowing that the only care in his world right now is how many crickets he'll catch tomorrow. I know I won't sleep that sleep any more, but I'm determined to allow him the luxury of it as long as I can give it to him.

As someone who has 5 years on ya, this was poetry.

regards,
jazz

Old 11-15-2007, 02:37 PM   #58
tyflier
Quote:
You misunderstand me...

You absolutely have a right to your opinion. You absolutely have the right to be concerned for the future of your world. You absolutely have the right to discuss and opine and exchange opinions on these subjects. But you also have the right to not care. You also have the right to find such discussions "silly" and unnecessary, like so many other people in your age group. IF you take an interest in such topics of discussion...good for you. You show a higher level of maturity than the average 13 year old, and that is commendable.

What I meant was that at 13...generally the interests fall somewhere between social life and Xbox, not socio-political debates. And that there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Conversely there is nothing wrong with HAVING an interest in those topics.

However...trust me when I say that your opinions on every socio-political topic WILL change between 13 and 18...and 18-25...and 25-35...ad infinitum. I simply do not see a reason for a 13 year old to be interested in discussing politics or religion with a 35 year old, and vice versa.

I am more "concrete" in my opinions. Not because of my age, but because of my level of experience...which is, of course, partly due to my age. Adults have typically seen and done more things than the average 13-17 year old. This doesn't mean that your opinions are invalid or not welcome. It simply means they are more suited to a discussion with other people of similar experience. Just as my opinions are more suited to discussions with people of similar age to me. I don't see where you and I would have very much common ground upon which to have a reasonable debate about any serious socio-political topic. Even disagreements need a commonality to be successfully debated, and that won't happen between you and I simply because our ages and experience levels create a chasm of difference in our points of view.

Undoubtedly, you will consider me old and jaded, and I will assume you are young and inexperienced. Because both statements are true to a certain extent. I don't have as ideological of a viewpoint as most young people, because I have been jaded by this thing called life. Young people often don't have as realistic a viewpoint as us old farts because they haven't yet personally experienced the trials and woes that we have. It's not a personal thing...it's life. It is what happens to all of us from birth to death. We grow up, grow old, grow calloused, and change our opinions. It is inevitable.

That's not to say you are "lower" than me, or less entitled to your opinion. It's not to say you haven't a RIGHT to your opinion or feelings on these issues. It only means that there isn't a common ground for you and I to have this debate. There isn't a reason for you and I to have similar concerns about the world around us. I can't discuss the rising costs of inflation and how that affects my life and my lifestyle with someone that doesn't have a job or pay rent. That's not an insult, it's a reality. I can't discuss the economic oimpacts of $3.00 a gallon gasoline with someone that doesn't have a driver's license or own a car. That's not personal, it's factual. Certainly, you have a right to an opinion on the matter...but it is not going to be nearly as informed nor realistic as someone that is personally struggling with these issues.

I am not saying that 13 year olds SHOULD sit on the couch and do nothing but play video games. I am saying that the majority of 13 year olds do just that, and it is perfectly acceptable at that age. It is OK for you not to care about these things because you don't have to worry about these things...or at least in a perfect world you WOULDN'T have to worry about these things, because someone else should worrying about them for you.

I don't mean that you haven't a right to your opinion. But do you really think that your opinion is on the same level as that of a 35 year old in these topics? In cornsnake discussions...quite possibly. But really? In socio-political discussions do you really think that the opinion of a 13 or 14 year old is going to be as informed and realistic as that of a 35 or 40 year old?

Seriously think about that for a moment, without allowing it to make you angry. You *should* understand why I feel this way, and how it is not an insult to you...just a reality of life.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:39 PM   #59
MerlinsPop
Quote:
Well, I'm sorry I care.
We're not! You're doing great! Just think of this conversation in about 25 years or so when you say the same thing to a bright, curious, teenager yourself and try not to laugh.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:49 PM   #60
SnakesRule1234
Quote:
You misunderstand me...

You absolutely have a right to your opinion. You absolutely have the right to be concerned for the future of your world. You absolutely have the right to discuss and opine and exchange opinions on these subjects. But you also have the right to not care. You also have the right to find such discussions "silly" and unnecessary, like so many other people in your age group. IF you take an interest in such topics of discussion...good for you. You show a higher level of maturity than the average 13 year old, and that is commendable.

What I meant was that at 13...generally the interests fall somewhere between social life and Xbox, not socio-political debates. And that there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Conversely there is nothing wrong with HAVING an interest in those topics.

However...trust me when I say that your opinions on every socio-political topic WILL change between 13 and 18...and 18-25...and 25-35...ad infinitum. I simply do not see a reason for a 13 year old to be interested in discussing politics or religion with a 35 year old, and vice versa.

I am more "concrete" in my opinions. Not because of my age, but because of my level of experience...which is, of course, partly due to my age. Adults have typically seen and done more things than the average 13-17 year old. This doesn't mean that your opinions are invalid or not welcome. It simply means they are more suited to a discussion with other people of similar experience. Just as my opinions are more suited to discussions with people of similar age to me. I don't see where you and I would have very much common ground upon which to have a reasonable debate about any serious socio-political topic. Even disagreements need a commonality to be successfully debated, and that won't happen between you and I simply because our ages and experience levels create a chasm of difference in our points of view.

Undoubtedly, you will consider me old and jaded, and I will assume you are young and inexperienced. Because both statements are true to a certain extent. I don't have as ideological of a viewpoint as most young people, because I have been jaded by this thing called life. Young people often don't have as realistic a viewpoint as us old farts because they haven't yet personally experienced the trials and woes that we have. It's not a personal thing...it's life. It is what happens to all of us from birth to death. We grow up, grow old, grow calloused, and change our opinions. It is inevitable.

That's not to say you are "lower" than me, or less entitled to your opinion. It's not to say you haven't a RIGHT to your opinion or feelings on these issues. It only means that there isn't a common ground for you and I to have this debate. There isn't a reason for you and I to have similar concerns about the world around us. I can't discuss the rising costs of inflation and how that affects my life and my lifestyle with someone that doesn't have a job or pay rent. That's not an insult, it's a reality. I can't discuss the economic oimpacts of $3.00 a gallon gasoline with someone that doesn't have a driver's license or own a car. That's not personal, it's factual. Certainly, you have a right to an opinion on the matter...but it is not going to be nearly as informed nor realistic as someone that is personally struggling with these issues.

I am not saying that 13 year olds SHOULD sit on the couch and do nothing but play video games. I am saying that the majority of 13 year olds do just that, and it is perfectly acceptable at that age. It is OK for you not to care about these things because you don't have to worry about these things...or at least in a perfect world you WOULDN'T have to worry about these things, because someone else should worrying about them for you.

I don't mean that you haven't a right to your opinion. But do you really think that your opinion is on the same level as that of a 35 year old in these topics? In cornsnake discussions...quite possibly. But really? In socio-political discussions do you really think that the opinion of a 13 or 14 year old is going to be as informed and realistic as that of a 35 or 40 year old?

Seriously think about that for a moment, without allowing it to make you angry. You *should* understand why I feel this way, and how it is not an insult to you...just a reality of life.
I understand more of what you meant now. Don't worry, you're not an old fart, my mom is your age so if I called you that I'd be calling my mom that... and this is off topic. Any way, I somewhat agree with you. I guess I'm just more into these things since I expierienced and seen more than the usual kid my age, alot of which I would not want to discuss. so I have a different point of view to alot of discussions.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google