CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Teaching tricks?

Old 08-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #21
Snowbaby
I got my corn snake to know its time to come out of cage when I open door and tap on side he will come slither out of where he's at and stick his head out then I put my hand up and he's comes out on to it and it's only like five months old I shouldn't say does evrytime but around 85% of the time he does.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:40 PM   #22
DollysMom
I haven't purposely tried to train, but when Dolly sees the feeding bin and when the viv lid is open, he stretches out to meet my hand. He definitely understands dinner time.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #23
DollysMom
Oops. Very very old thread!

Old 08-30-2015, 09:18 AM   #24
Nanci
Too bad Choco is monstrous now, and can no longer do most of her tricks.

I have made it a habit to train all new hatchlings to come to the fronts of their bins when I knock, for dinner time. They learn so quickly! It's also nice to do the whole rack of babies, pre-feeding, to check for blue snakes.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:29 PM   #25
XenDrgn
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
This is a list of the "tricks" that I taught Choco.

1. Choco hangs off my hand, and I say "Choco, you're going to fall, you're going to fall!!" and he drops down, but catches himself by his tail at the last second.

2. Choco reaches off my left hand, to my right hand, straight out like a stick, and I say "Choco, you can trust me, come on Choco!!" and I hold my hands far apart, and he reaches my right hand and slowly transfers his weight without flopping down- he stays stiff.

3. (This is the one where the person I'm explaining the tricks to gets a glazed expression) Bicycle. Choco is wound around some fingers of both hands, and I "pedal" my hands backwards, and Choco stays in one place by crawling, as I sing the song "I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike."

4. Toilet Paper Roll. During Bicycle, at some point, I switch the direction I'm pedaling my hands and say "Toilet Paper Roll!" and pedal forward and Choco unwinds off my hands, like runaway toilet paper.

5. Caduseus. Choco dangles from one finger, his head and tail at the same level, and he twines around himself.

6. Kathy Love's Cornsnake Treadmill. It's hard to describe- you have to see her do it. Kathy claims it tires energetic snakes out enough to make them cooperative photo subjects. Plus it's just relaxing. You hold the snake's neck in your right hand, and ind the snake in a figure eight around the fingers of your left hand, holding it in that Vulcan hand thing sort of, and you get the snake to start crawling, but hold it steady with your right hand, while alternating the fingers of your left hand so it keeps moving forward. Impossible to describe. All snakes do it pretty easily once the owner figures out how it works. Except, of course, Inez, who will go along for a minute, then tighten her coils so fast it's like she's slamming on the brakes! She's funny.

7. Hangman's Noose. Choco drapes himself over one finger, then makes a loop around his body with the end of his tail and drops through it.

All these "tricks" are easy to do with a small, light snake. By the time the snake grows up, they are too big and heavy for a lot of the tricks to work any more.
I think.. we need video. For Science.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:00 PM   #26
LittleFrog
There's a really cool FaceBook page called reptelligence that does awesome enrichment exercises with their snakes like using tunnels and mazes and even those puzzle dog toys to get them to hunt and search for their food. It's really cool to watch. They do it with other reptiles too.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:06 PM   #27
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by XenDrgn View Post
I think.. we need video. For Science.
These tricks were from when Choco was a juvenile. The only trick she does now is fly out of her viv and rip mice in half!

Old 08-30-2015, 01:37 PM   #28
Karl_Mcknight
Same here to DollysMom. I can just walk into the room with the feeding bin and Rufus is already at the door waiting for me to open it.

Snakes really are quite intelligent.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google